norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Memory test

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· ght.aspx

I know this is a tool to test hardware and I've posted this link in a RAM test topic there as help.

My question seems relative to Microsoft and wondered if someone could enlighten me on why it is listed but not downloadable.....has it's time expired?
Why is the oca download not there?
Is there anyone close to Microsoft that can find an answer so that I don't go giving false info and the utility out if there is a known reason for it being lifted?

Thanks
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Given there is a link to nowhere rather than a line of text saying "no longer available", I'd say it's a mistake in the web site, not an intentional withdrawal.

You know Windows 7 has a built-in memory diagnostic, though? Type 'memory test' into the help&support app.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Sounds plausible - there seems a lot of redefining, redesigning or what ever term suits the changes on the web site

Although Windows 7 does have an internal test, does mdsched.exe run on Windows XP or off flash with other systems etc?
I've not tried it but a quick google suggests it does. Have you run the tool that way?
I had a lot of faith in the old tool, do you know how effective it is over the older type; with an older operating system like XP, not Win 7 for example?

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 recommendation

plencnerb to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
Its been mentioned a few times on this board before, but I wanted to throw in a plug for MemTest86.

Link is below

»www.memtest86.com/

Since you create either a USB or Floppy disc to boot it from, it will run on any hardware, regardless of the OS that is installed. It is also from what I have found the most complete Memory tester out there.

--Brian

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

1 edit

norwegian

Premium Member

Thanks for the link, however I am aware of the tool.

I was more curious of the quality of the new tool compared to the old tool of Microsoft's if they are discontinuing the old tool for the newer Win 7 version. I've not delved into Win 8 and if there is an updated version and whether it is cross-platform compatible.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Software RAM testing has been the same since the early days, the main difference is the chipsets that are supported and the amount of RAM these tools can test. Basically, a software RAM test is about 90% accurate with a thorough runthrough and I don't believe you can hit close to 100% accuracy without a proper hardware RAM tester.

I use whatever version Microsoft put out to pasture whenever they first put it out on systems with less than 4 GB RAM and Memtest86 on systems with more.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

I can't argue with that comment..not that was my intention when starting this topic. The memory tool this topic started with found things other tools could not; guess it was one of those defining moments. Hardware testing would be better but is out of the range of the average user.

I will have to just remove myself and accept the newer changes.
Thanks all for the feedback.