join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Goggalor

Re: Rook

Thanks.

Things are getting fixed up, but of course it's a slow process.
The American Red Cross and a bunch of volunteer organizations have been extremely helpful with providing food and blankets and that type of stuff to the neighborhood, and helping with cleanup.
NYC Sanitation literally drives around all day and night picking up whatever cleanup garbage they see. A group of volunteers helped me empty my basement yesterday afternoon, and this morning the bags (about 20 of them) are all gone.

But LIPA took forever to restore power, even after my panels were replaced and inspected, and my flood insurance company and FEMA are really backed up. It's going to take a while, but things aren't that bad really.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Dezbend
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-20

1 recommendation

PTU.

Let us know if there is anything we can do.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to Rook008

I'm thankful that you're OK and the only damage is to your property and nothing more serious.

It's really awesome that there are so many volunteers out there!
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Dezbend

Thanks for the offer Dez, but now it's basically a waiting game for me. Calling the insurance company every couple of days doesn't help much, unfortunately. But they'll get here eventually.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
join:2007-09-18
Gilroy, CA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Vote Rook
Well known fact, anyone who gets their garbage taken immediately is Mafia.
glad you weren't taken out to sea
--
"We are the only intelligent people in the universe." Arrogance 3:10

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

lol, thanks Therul.

We'll see how that garbage pick up goes. There's about 20 bags waiting for NYC sanitation right now.

Just today a FEMA rep put me in touch with a group of volunteers from the Mennonite Disaster Service. They showed up a half hour later (while my insurance company, who I pay, took over a month to come out and look at the damage) and helped me remove all of the drywall from my basement. Great group of people.
--