Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to buttaknife

Re: GSP! GSP! GSP!

said by buttaknife:

@Anav

No redeeming* value? Have you seen the impact it has had for children/kids/adults of varying ages? It's been keeping many active in life and not just rotting away in front of the TV or games. It's given a positive outlet for many of them, including the troubled who now are better people for it. There is a method to the "madness" and the discipline it can instill for most is life-changing.

I'm not going to say it's for the feint of heart, especially when it comes to the professional levels of competition, but it's as safe if not safer than many other sports out there, including but not limited to: boxing, football.

Well we disagree on many facets of the activity. Personally aspiring to hitting people and inflicting injuries, knocking them out etc, is not for my kids. In fact any parent that does should have their children removed from their care. Again just my opinion. Discipline, fitness, nutrition and instrinsic motivation are all excellent qualities no argument but UF is not an ultimate panacea and there are far better ways to achieve the common goals we seek (such as avoiding vegetative WII kids). To state however that UF somehow rescues people is a bit far fetched. I think you have Rocky on the Brain. What could have helped Rocky is support from all to actually go to school and get an education.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

buttaknife

join:2007-06-01
said by Anav:

said by buttaknife:

@Anav

No redeeming* value? Have you seen the impact it has had for children/kids/adults of varying ages? It's been keeping many active in life and not just rotting away in front of the TV or games. It's given a positive outlet for many of them, including the troubled who now are better people for it. There is a method to the "madness" and the discipline it can instill for most is life-changing.

I'm not going to say it's for the feint of heart, especially when it comes to the professional levels of competition, but it's as safe if not safer than many other sports out there, including but not limited to: boxing, football.

Well we disagree on many facets of the activity. Personally aspiring to hitting people and inflicting injuries, knocking them out etc, is not for my kids. In fact any parent that does should have their children removed from their care. Again just my opinion. Discipline, fitness, nutrition and instrinsic motivation are all excellent qualities no argument but UF is not an ultimate panacea and there are far better ways to achieve the common goals we seek (such as avoiding vegetative WII kids). To state however that UF somehow rescues people is a bit far fetched. I think you have Rocky on the Brain. What could have helped Rocky is support from all to actually go to school and get an education.

Again your ignorance is at the forefront. Judging by your usage of UF(c) tells us you are another person who is associates UFC/Ultimate Fighting (as per your usage)=MMA. While the UFC's base is essentially MMA, it does not necessarily represent it as a whole. It's like saying NFL=Football, no if and/or buts. There's also the CFL and I'm sure many other leagues of football.

Using that same example, you're suggesting that any kids and/or parents who involve them in a sport that has physical activity is wrong. With Hockey and Football, there is a lot of physical contact involved; subsequently, even the minor and under 18 leagues (eg. High School) of the aforementioned sports has their contact. Truth to be told, they usually have stricter rule sets but a lot of the sport mechanics still apply and occur with or without intention.

So what you are saying that these parents should be held accountable and essentially have their children removed from them. Yes? No? If not, why? Because what you are describing is the same, regardless of method of contact. Practicing mixed martial arts does not equate to competing in mixed martials. Hell, kids have been training in one martial art or another for a long time. Karate, Tae Kwan Do... the list goes on, unless you've been under a rock for the last few decades.

So your attack on kids practicing the arts as a combined form vs a singular, being essentially humanely irresponsible, is absurd. Do you see organizations like the UFC or Strikeforce allowed children to fight it out on Pay-Per-View? No. If that was a case you'd have a valid argument.

Listen, no one is telling you what to do with your kids but I don't think you have any ground to stand on versus kids and kids turned adults who've professed and stood prime example to how mixed martials arts has changed their life from the depths of the gutter to becoming productive and good persons of society. Also, not sure where "Rocky on the brain" stands in this all -- that was a movie.

As far as the professional levels of competition, nobody is asking you to watch or agree. But aside from a couple bad apples here and there (happens in every sport), you see two adults show their ability under the rules and regulations of, eg, the UFC and the relative comission of the Province/State. And at the end of the competition, you almost always see one thing that truly shines forward -- that is, both competitors acknowledging each other in respect for the bout, win, lose or draw.

Again, you don't have to watch or like it. But if you are going to criticize it publicly, be prepared to bring some relevant facts or experiences. Otherwise you are just teetering on you-know-which-line.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Anav
said by Anav:

Personally aspiring to hitting people and inflicting injuries, knocking them out etc, is not for my kids.

Most of the top level fighters look to a submission achieved through tactical means as opposed to pummelling their opponent.

Obviously your knowledge of, and opinion of the actual sport, is based on ignorance. Your post is misinformed dribble.

On a side note people: I saw an interesting piece on the "warrior gene" in which MMA fighters were compared to Buddhist Monks. Guess what group predominantly had more of the aggressive gene?