Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Jundee80

Re: Forum Closure Update

said by Jundee80:

There has been no response from Mike Holmes or the Holmes Group to any of the comments that have been posted so far on this site, nor the Mike Holmes Blog Spot, nor Facebook, nor my letter to Mike.

You didn't look very hard on Facebook:
quote:
Hi everyone. I wanted to comment on closing the Official Mike Holmes Forum. It was a difficult decision but we are going to use the knowledge we gained from the forum to develop more tips and articles to help you through your home renovations. Every home is different - and the best thing to do is call a pro in your local area. Thanks everyone for your support & understanding.
My guess is the official reason was more like it became too much of a hassle to keep running. To reply officially to some and not others makes it look like your non-responsive. You give out reasonable advice, but people who have no business doing the DIY project still attempting and bad things happen. Sure it could be handed over to others to run or let the community run it similar to how things are ran here. But it has his name and reputation obviously tied to it.

I've setup several forums or blogs for clients before and unless there is someone that actively monitors it, things often just get overrun with riff raff. Unless someone can commit to it full time, it's not worth it a lot of the time.

Jundee80

join:2012-11-06
Canada
I think you missed or misinterpreted what I have posted.

What Mike posted on his Facebook was not posted by him. It was posted by someone in the office. He was in Central America at the time.

His daughter, who was the administrator of the forum stated to us
8 moderators that sge as well as Mike knew nothing of what happened.

There was no hassle for anyone at the Holmes Group. They didn't deal or contribute anytting to the forum. It was run & supervised for 9 years by the moderators & the administrator, who made very sure that nothing happened that might impact his name or reputation. In fact, the positive responses & posts addressed to Mike were so numerous that I printed them one year & presented an album titled "A standing ovation for Mike" to him for Christmas.

But even if your assertions were true, that is no excuse for the way this matter was handled.

Jundee
--
Jundee80

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
So I am confused by this posting in the Home Improvement forum.

By what you posted you were one of the 8 moderators and certainly have more inside information than we do. Why does this warrant a post in this forum as to me, it should either be in the general questions forum of the rant and rave forum.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
I think this is an appropriate forum. At present this appears to be the best place for former members of the Holmes Fan Forum to communicate with each other. I, for one, welcome them here.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
said by robbin:

I think this is an appropriate forum. At present this appears to be the best place for former members of the Holmes Fan Forum to communicate with each other. I, for one, welcome them here.

Wasn't questioning whether or not those folks should come here for help and home improvement info. Was questioning this post ranting about not get a response from Mike or the company as to why they closed down. This post does not help anyone and does not ask any home improvement questions.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

2 recommendations

reply to robbin
said by robbin:

I think this is an appropriate forum.

I agree that this is an appropriate forum (based on the number of times that I have seen readers referred to the Holmes forum for the answer to a question that was raised here), but I don't think we need three separate topics to discuss one event.

The original thread had a meaningful thread title "Holmes Fan Forum closed !?!".

Titles like "Forum Closure Update" and "The latest regarding the Forum closure" are bad because they are very misleading. The first reaction of a DSLReports/BroadbandReports reader will be the fear that our popular Home Improvement forum here is closing.

Just my opinion of course.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Jundee80

join:2012-11-06
Canada

Re: Holmes Fan Forum Closure Update

I didn't start this thread, I replied to questions that were raised.

I read every post that was here before I replied.

As far as the "ranting & raving is concerned" I post to inform people who are interested. those who have my e-mail & contact me get a reply but many who don't know how to reach me, I use this forum.

I don't expect everybody to like it.

--
Jundee80