united state
kudos:1

The $199 iPad killer?

quote:
The other, other laptop: New $199 Chromebooks a holiday hit
By Blake Snow
Published November 19, 2012
| FoxNews.com

Tablets and laptops are great. You already know that.
What you might not know, is that Google has been quietly pushing something you might end up using a whole lot more than either of the above.
They’re called Chromebooks. And like an iPad, they boot-up, sleep, and resume in seconds—no more walking around with your laptop lid open. They automatically update themselves, so there’s no need for extra virus software. And they’re stocked with keyboards, so you can be more productive.
But the real kicker: Chromebooks now start at $199. And they’re good. Despite a bumpy start, they're popular enough that some models are even selling out at popular retailers like Best Buy. You’d be ill-advised to ignore them any longer...
Read more: »www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/11/19/···day-hit/

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
They gave this out on a flight I was on (Virgin America). They are pretty much like a stripped netbook and can do even fewer things than an iPad can (no app store).

They make great cheap-ish gifts for someone, but I wager than most of them that get sold will never get used.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

1 edit
Wouldn't it be good for a grandparent or light user who only needs a few functions (email, Facebook, solitaire and Amazon.com)?

Daemon
Premium
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to haroldo
Yes, but they use the standard desktop PC metaphor, so a grandparent would already have to be familiar with how to use a web browser, meaning they'd already have a computer. If I had to help someone entirely new to computers use one, I'd go with an iPad because the icons and app names make it so easy to know which app does what. My grandparents would choose a chromebook because they find iPads frivolous, but they've been using computers for decades.

I admit, I don't really understand chromebooks. My impression is that google thinks many people are buying iPads because they actually want a very small very easy to use laptop. Microsoft has this same idea, which is why they made Surface. I'm not sure people bought iPads because the computer they really wanted doesn't exist.

Surface, though the ads are hip and colorful, is really targeted toward a business traveler who travels a lot and needs to get real work done while mobile. That's kind of a niche and it's not clear to me that Windows 8 is really fully baked and ready to go for that kind of usage, but at least Microsoft's target market is obvious to me. (Note: the hardcore Apple evangelists will tell you that you can get real work done on an iPad--creative work yes, but corporate work requires a keyboard, a number pad, and all of the advanced functions in Word and Excel. Pages and Numbers just don't cut it)

If cheap is really what you are after, and you really do want a keyboard, then a chromebook makes sense I guess. I don't know anyone who really just wants an exceptionally cheap laptop, though.

For new computer users or little kids, a tablet makes more sense to me and you can get Android tables for $199 these days.
--
-Ryan

haroldo

united state
OT...spoke to a woman (Apple user) who played with the Surface...and loved it

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to Daemon
I have not had a chance to play with one but, over the years, I long suspected this was coming. Chromebook will tie you into the internet, "the cloud" if you have to, making it easier to connect and find your data and information without needing to be tied down by a desktop. Google products allow all this since Chromebook will be what is called a "thin client" and Google's servers become your desktop. Essentially, this is what Unix and mainframe computers have been doing since forever.

Using Chromebook means using Google products and services which helps Google sell ads and products, not unlike Apple or Microsoft at all but, unlike those, you can snap your Chromebook in half, buy a new one, and continue where you left off in mid-sentence. Brilliant!

But I have no idea how well Chromebooks do all that because, as I said, I haven't handled one yet. I do know that all my settings and bookmarks are on all my Chrome devices, as are my docs.

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI
reply to haroldo
Sure, but would she buy one and use it everyday as the 'daily driver', so to speak?

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
Chromebooks are not an ipad killer. They are way too limited even for a light user. They are also not a pricing advantage, as you can get a nexus 7 for the same price, and have a greatly more capable device.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to haroldo
said by haroldo:

quote:
You’d be ill-advised to ignore them any longer...

Yep, if they didn't suck in every conceivable way, they would be iPad killers.

The problem with these castrated $200 chromebooks in laptop form factors is for $100 more you can get an actual laptop. Sometimes even less than $100 more. That, and the fact that you have to trust google.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

haroldo

united state
reply to rjackal
said by rjackal:

Sure, but would she buy one and use it everyday as the 'daily driver', so to speak?

Nope!

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

1 recommendation

reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by haroldo:

quote:
You’d be ill-advised to ignore them any longer...

Yep, if they didn't suck in every conceivable way, they would be iPad killers.

Since you don't own one and never used one, how do you know?
quote:
The problem with these castrated $200 chromebooks in laptop form factors is for $100 more you can get an actual laptop. Sometimes even less than $100 more.
Then why buy an iPad when you can get a notebook for far less? And that notebook wouldn't have the capabilities I mentioned above.
quote:
That, and the fact that you have to trust google.

Do you trust Microsoft or Apple with your information when you register, login, search, etc.? Forget it. Let's not get OT.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

1 edit
reply to haroldo
said by haroldo:

Wouldn't it be good for a grandparent or light user who only needs a few functions (email, Facebook, solitaire and Amazon.com)?

No.

I read a quote/comment the other day from a writer (can't remember who it was) that said you should buy the best computer you can for novices. People with above average proficiency with computers can put up with slowdowns, crappy software, etc because they know what to expect. But novices think they're doing something wrong or that computers just suck. I tend to agree with this.

On a different note, my dad is completely computer illiterate. You should see him trying to use a mouse - I can't imagine how he'd use a tiny trackpad and keyboard. But a few months ago he picked up an iPad for the first time and now he uses it every day. And not just for a few functions - he's using many third party apps that recreate an experience he's familiar with (newspapers, books, etc) that just aren't possible with a point and click laptop.

IMO, the chromebook is a solution in search of a problem. I don't think it appeals to hardcore computer users as its functions are very limited. I don't think it appeals to average computer users as they likely already have a laptop that is more powerful and does what they want - these are the people that usually resist change to begin with. People that absolutely need on-the-go quick access to things like e-mail, word documents, etc (google's core services) may be better off with a tablet or smartphone. And I don't think it appeals to novices because well-design tablet software will beat the Chrombook every time.

The only niche I can see it filling in is the business traveller notebook (Thinkpad X31 comes to mind). But I've seen less and less of these in use over the years. On top of that, many IT departments probably wouldn't want all your documents flowing through google to begin with.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Daemon
Premium
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to DrModem
said by DrModem:

Chromebooks are not an ipad killer. They are way too limited even for a light user. They are also not a pricing advantage, as you can get a nexus 7 for the same price, and have a greatly more capable device.

This is basically my thinking. The chromebook is a broken laptop with most of the functionality removed. I'd rather have a full-featured tablet at the same price.
--
-Ryan

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to haroldo
if anyone thinks these are iPad killers they are smoking some good stuff. I looked at one and liked it, but found it was heavily dependent on cloud storage instead of using a hard drive. instant deal killer. IMO i think these are nothing more than portable web browsers and nothing else.
--
| map your city |

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to haroldo
The author's an idiot, Chromebooks/netbooks are a dead format! They had their 15 minuets of fame now its time to move on. Grandparents, non techies, and cheap skates have the Kindle @ that $199 price point. The rest of the world will keep buying iPads & Android tablets as fast they can make them. People would rather have a killer iPad than an iPad killer.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to Daemon
said by Daemon:

The chromebook is a broken laptop with most of the functionality removed.

What functionality was removed?

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

I looked at one and liked it, but found it was heavily dependent on cloud storage instead of using a hard drive. instant deal killer. IMO i think these are nothing more than portable web browsers and nothing else.

That's the selling point. You always have enough storage, you never have to upgrade your OS, your data is available everywhere you go including all your applications.

If you break your iPad, you lose everything. If you break your Chromebook, you lose nothing.

haroldo

united state
reply to not quite right
said by not quite right:

...People would rather have a killer iPad than an iPad killer.

My nomination for post of the year.
You work on Madison Avenue?

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
said by haroldo:

said by not quite right:

...People would rather have a killer iPad than an iPad killer.

My nomination for post of the year.
You work on Madison Avenue?

Thanks, maybe I should. Hmmmmm ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to haroldo
Chromebucket...the worst of everything.

steven s
Premium
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI
reply to haroldo
I think there is a market for Chromebooks, but I don't think they compete with iPads.

Take my friend, for example. He is using a laptop from 2004 and uses it for work. His work isn't going to replace the machine any time soon, but he wants his own computer to browse the web and do word processing. The Nexus 7 or iPad mini, the tablets comparable in price to a Chromebook, aren't going to do the trick because they lack keyboards (yes, you can get keyboards for them and buy iWork on the iPad, but those add more $$ to the purchase price) and have small screens, and cheap Windows laptops have shitty battery life and are slow. For my friend, the $250 Samsung Chromebook is perfect.

It all comes down to which product best suits your needs.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by steven s:

cheap Windows laptops have shitty battery life and are slow.

No, not really. Not compared to the 6 hour battery life and ARM CPU in the chromebooks. For $50 more, you should get the same battery life and crappy speed from a $300 ASUS with a dual core AMD processor, and it will be an actual real computer with a real OS. For $120 more you can get an actual real laptop.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
said by JohnInSJ:

it will be an actual real computer with a real OS. For $120 more you can get an actual real laptop.

Applications in Chromebook run on Google's Linux computers with full backup. You can also start work on one device and pick it back up on another. You can't do that with any other.
Expand your moderator at work