spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JVRudnick

join:2004-01-12
Waterdown, ON

outgoing email server for us Cogeco biz accounts?

hi..I"m often at a clients and using my laptop wish to send out emails, but can't as smtp.cogeco.ca will not work unless I"m at my own offices...

is there an email outgoing server that I can setup to use anywhere?

kittyburgers

join:2012-01-31
I don't think there is (if there is, I'd love to know about it too). One more reason to use a gmail or hotmail acccount, I suppose.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Last I heard they were working on authenticated SMTP servers, but I haven't seen any status updates posted as of late.

sofawall

@cgocable.net
reply to JVRudnick
The main options are to use Webmail (or mail2web.com at the moment, as webmail is experiencing some issues) or to use the SMTP server of the network you're on (mail.1xbell.com, for example, is the Bell SMTP server). Cogeco, sadly, does not have any way to send through their server without being on their network.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by sofawall :

Cogeco, sadly, does not have any way to send through their server without being on their network.

That's because their email technology is stuck in the 90's and their customer service mantra is shot to hell.

Secure transport of authenticated SMTP sessions has been around for a while and just works.

I think they're trying to bring some of their platforms up to speed, but you can see by other threads in this forum how that's going.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
said by dillyhammer:

That's because their email technology is stuck in the 90's and their customer service mantra is shot to hell.

DSL ISPs that use PPPoE have the advantage of having a single set of user credentials that are used for a variety of applications such as network and mail authorization and usage accounting.

It still doesn't explain why they can't use the customer's POP account information for authenticated SMTP though... hrm..

--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by HeadSpinning:

DSL ISPs that use PPPoE have the advantage of having a single set of user credentials that are used for a variety of applications such as network and mail authorization and usage accounting.

There was a period of time where Bell had distinct logins for PPPoE and email during that whole MSN phase. It was beyond annoying.

Rogers has used POP account information to authenticate on their SMTP servers for close to ten years now. I really don't understand why Cogeco didn't implement something like that years ago.

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to JVRudnick
one option is to custom configure to use ports that your allowed to use and then ....do your client as well....
kinda also makes it harder to port spam you unless your scanned first.

DigitalXeron
There is a lack of sanity

join:2003-12-17
Hamilton, ON
reply to JVRudnick
One solution if you're on a business account is to set up a VPN solution at your office (many offices have servers anyways) then from there when you're out in the field, VPN in and sling the mail through your network to Cogeco's MTA.

This also has the added benefit of any headers having the mail originating from your office address rather than revealing your client's infrastructure (which may be privileged).
--
--Kradorex Xeron
[an error occurred while processing this signature]