spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Viper316

@verizon.net

Does anyone still make good DSL modems?

Not this router combo crap. I want a good MODEM. period. Any suggestions? I use my own router with DD-WRT. The Westell I originally got from Verizon quit on me and the ActionTec they sent me is a model that, from what I'm reading, people are having difficulty getting to work properly as just a modem. I'd like to have a standard DSL modem to use instead, assuming Verizon will let me.

Youngblood

join:2009-07-02
Nokesville, VA

2 edits
Back in 2005 when I became aware that DSL was available in my area (and I jumped on it like a duck on a June bug ) Verizon sent to me a Westell 6100 Dual Connect C90. Several years later, I started experiencing probs and determined that the Westell was the culprit.

After a particularly unsatisfactory experience with the folks in Mumbai, Verizon sent me an ActionTec modem/router replacement, but by that time I had acquired a replacement Westell C90 off of eBay. I gave the Actiontec to my cousin and set it up for her. With the exception of the one time it hiccupped and I had to get her out of the @^$#!*^ "Walled Garden", it has served her well.

The Westell C90 handles 3Mbps service very well. It also handled the 5Mbps service that they offered in my area for a brief time and I checked out with a 6-Month Trial Offer.

I currently am still using that replacement Westell C90 (I have a couple of more, pre-configured, in a box in the basement) along with a WNR3500L loaded with DD-WRT as the core of my home network.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to Viper316
The Westell 6100s Verizon hands out are still pretty solid units. Just put them in bridge mode if you have your own router, and they'll never need rebooting. I have had DSL service for almost 7 years now and I've had the original modem (minus one Verizon wanted back two weeks into the service due to a technical problem I experienced with the service). Handles 5Mbps/768kbps on a 2 mile long line with bare minimum stats without a problem. Just ask for a 6100, or pick one up from somewhere online.

I can't attest to other off-the-shelf units but I've heard good things about the Standalone D-Link modems.

Viper1873

join:2010-02-07
reply to Viper316
The only thing I'm seeing that does NOT have a router built in is a TP-Link. »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···-165-003

(forgot I have an account here.)

Bytebender
Premium
join:2008-02-12
Canada
We've no issues at all with our older TP-Link 8616 ADSL2+ ethernet bridge unit, been working fine for several years.
--
reboot, reset, reconfigure, then recycle.

grecord

join:2002-01-06
Germantown, MD
reply to Viper316
I had Westell, then ZyXel (which I still have) and both were fine before I switched to fios. The ZyXel came in two flavorsne without and one with a switch built in otherwise nice solid/simple box.

telekomet

join:2012-12-25
Dallas, TX
reply to Viper316
I would recommended ActionTec modems, I use it at home and its the modem were are currently supplying to or customers, haven't had any complaints.
--
Telekomet CEO
Business rule #1 : Have a no fear attitude.