dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
sarahportman
join:2012-10-31

sarahportman

Re: tracing the call from someone using voip raider software??

I think it would be possible to trace a call if you have the right tool and software, so anyone can answer my question?
inuk2600
join:2011-12-26

inuk2600

I don't know myself what is involved in tracing calls however I imagine that rather than a particular tool or software, it would be more of a project involving the cooperation of possibly multiple service providers, like requesting log records, and matching them up to form the route.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by inuk2600:

I imagine that rather than a particular tool or software, it would be more of a project involving the cooperation of possibly multiple service providers, like requesting log records, and matching them up to form the route.

Bingo.
DaveSin
join:2009-07-17

DaveSin to inuk2600

to inuk2600
It is interesting that the FBI were able to trace the source of those "poison" emails from Paula Broadwell, by first getting the IP address from different ISPs. These IP addresses were tied to various hotels. The FBI then got the Hotel Guest List for all these Hotels and cross referenced the names of the guests who stayed at these Hotels during certain time frames when the emails were sent. Paula Broadwell's name was common on all the list. Very low tech, at least for the last mile!
said by inuk2600:

I don't know myself what is involved in tracing calls however I imagine that rather than a particular tool or software, it would be more of a project involving the cooperation of possibly multiple service providers, like requesting log records, and matching them up to form the route.

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

said by DaveSin:

It is interesting that the FBI were able to trace the source of those "poison" emails from Paula Broadwell, by first getting the IP address from different ISPs. These IP addresses were tied to various hotels. The FBI then got the Hotel Guest List for all these Hotels and cross referenced the names of the guests who stayed at these Hotels during certain time frames when the emails were sent. Paula Broadwell's name was common on all the list. Very low tech, at least for the last mile!

The most worrying part is that an anti-terrorism professional lacks the skills to send emails without being tracked. Average Joe may not how to do it, but a person who has worked as a Deputy Director of the Jebsen Center for Counter-Terrorism Studies and worked with the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force should have known.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by Arne Bolen:

The most worrying part is that an anti-terrorism professional lacks the skills to send emails without being tracked. Average Joe may not how to do it, but a person who has worked as a Deputy Director of the Jebsen Center for Counter-Terrorism Studies and worked with the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force should have known.

The more you read about her skill level (problems at Harvard, problems at King's College London, problems with the Petraeus book in which she had to bring in another co-author) you see that she has advanced her career through 2 types of padding....

...one type being resume padding, no comment on the other type.
PX Eliezer704

PX Eliezer704 to Arne Bolen

Premium Member

to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

The most worrying part is that an anti-terrorism professional lacks the skills to send emails without being tracked.

Besides, she was in an irrational jealous fit.

[How DARE a mistress be cheated upon!]

It's like when that NASA astronaut drove 900 miles in a diaper and tried to kill a rival female. Not rational.

Broadwell is not a well broad.

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

The more you read about her skill level (problems at Harvard, problems at King's College London, problems with the Petraeus book in which she had to bring in another co-author) you see that she has advanced her career through 2 types of padding....

...one type being resume padding, no comment on the other type.

I agree. If she had the skills suggested by her career she wouldn't been in the media circus now. She is an Average Jane.

Hiding your tracks when using GMail and many other services is a piece of a cake, so easy that even many Average Jane/Joe persons should be able to do it.
sarahportman
join:2012-10-31

sarahportman to inuk2600

to inuk2600
said by inuk2600:

I think you have an idea here. log records could be a great way to trace the caller where and when he did make the call.