spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lmacmil

join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN

[WIN7] New Windows don't open on top-why?

I should probably know this but I don't. Sometimes (with Windows 7) when I double-click on a file to launch its application, the new window opens behind currently open windows. Not only that, I can't just click on the task bar icon to bring it to the top, I actually have to shrink the other windows to get the new window on top. I have not (knowingly) changed any settings. What causes this and what is the remedy?

Thanks.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 edit

This should ONLY HAPPEN if the application has its setting set to 'Always on top' then other stuff DOES OPEN BEHIND IT!! (that would affect opening something from taskbar also (IT STILL WONT GO OVER SOMETHING THAT IS SET TO 'ALWAYS ON TOP' (You do have to minimize it first (The app that is 'ALWAYS ON TOP'))))

In other words when i open realplayer and click folders,etc THEY OPEN IN FRONT OF IT... When i have task manager open and open something else,IT OPENS BEHIND IT! (As TM is ALWAYS ON TOP (Well i have it selected))

If you look in your TM you should be able to see what is set to ALWAYS ON TOP and what isnt

Good luck buddy

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to lmacmil

Re: [WIN7] New Windows don't open on top-why?

I occasionally have the misfortune to need to use something called the Oracle Enterprise Single Sign-on manager, which intercepts (mostly internal) web sites demands for logon and supplies the right words.

Without fail, this hunk of junk causes all new windows to be at the back of the z-order. Conversely, disabling the program reverts to sensible operation.

I don't suppose you're using Oracle ESSO (does Exxon know of this?) but maybe this will point you in the right direction. Which is: if there's any 3rd-party software you've installed which needs to intercept window creation, perhaps it could be responsible?