spc
Search similar:

uniqs

n1581j
@wildblue.net

n1581j

Anon

Here we go again.....

After long delay loading my email. I see one from Wildblue. You have exceeded your limit and are being slowed.....

To what I ask myself this time because I am more than happy to have 56k for reading the morning papers, sending emails etc. Speed really doesn't help me read faster, just turn the page quicker.

It only helps when I sit down to work. Now I'll have to drive in to the Office instead of having a lazy day.

Well to cut a long story short. I can't even read the paper let alone turn the page.

It's now been 21 minutes attempting to log into Wildblue.net to check my usage. Speedtest.net crapped out multiple times, didn't load, dslreports took 13 minutes. I may not even be able to upload this post, who knows at this point. Attempting to phone Wildblue, I'm told 10 minutes delay, why should it be any different says I.

It's one thing to be capped, that's exceptable every so often, it's another entirely to make a system unusable.

Just checked my Wildblue log-in. Now 26 minutes. I think I can take it it's failed.

Why didn't I upgrade to Exede, cause I don't need the speed at home, because I was originally ripped off on Wildblue, "sign up now, we have a promotion of $100 off signup cost" It was the reason I went and made the choice between Hughes and Wildblue. I should of checked my bank statement instead of throwing it in the drawer will all the others till the Accountant does his thing. Once bitten, twice shy.

Wildblue log-in: 34 minutes. Yes I say, definitely failed.

It's going to be one of those days.......

Seems I have 2 choices, put up with it or move
n1581j

n1581j

Anon

Wouldn't load speedtest so used Networx monitoring instead

Incoming Outgoing
======== ========
Current Transfer Rate 24 bytes/s 1.54 KB/s
Average Transfer Rate 478 bytes/s 287 bytes/s
Maximum Transfer Rate 22.3 KB/s 6.15 KB/s
Total Data Transferred 167 KB 100 KB
Since 11/20/2012 1:51:08 PM

Elapsed time: 00-05-57
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to n1581j

to n1581j
said by n1581j :

I am more than happy to have 56k for reading the morning papers,

Then use Lynx - "Lynx is a text browser for the World Wide Web."
»lynx.browser.org

Turn off Wildblue's proxy when using Lynx....

wm4bama
join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama to n1581j

to n1581j
One nice feature about Exede (if you decided to switch) is that even if you're maxed out on usage your speeds are restored every night from midnight to 5am..and unmetered (unlimited) usage during this time..

And, your "slowed" speed until you're reset to zero is more like 120-240kbs.. Your usage is zeroed out every month on your billing date.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to DrStrangLov

Premium Member

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov:

said by n1581j :

I am more than happy to have 56k for reading the morning papers,

Then use Lynx - "Lynx is a text browser for the World Wide Web."
»lynx.browser.org

Turn off Wildblue's proxy when using Lynx....

Hahaha. That's funny. Text web browsers are completely worthless unless you using ssh to connect to a server and have no other option during an emergency.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by silbaco:

Hahaha. That's funny. Text web browsers are completely worthless

For Linux users:

w3m is a free software/open source text-based web browser. It has support for tables, frames,[2] SSL connections, color and inline images on suitable terminals. Generally, it renders pages in a form as true to their original layout as possible.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W3m
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

Spice300 to n1581j

Premium Member

to n1581j
Did Wildblue increase your download speed above the advertised maximum a few weeks before you were FAPed?

Since about October 10, 2012, Wildblue has been giving me a download speed of about 3 Mb/s outside of prime time on my Value Pack account with is supposed to be limited to 512 kb/s. During prime time it is about the speed of Select Pack, 1 Mb/s. It is difficult to manage usage with this high speed and low usage cap of 7500 million bytes for the last 30 days. I find myself easily using 2 or 3 days worth of usage (500 MB to 750 MB) in a single day and then having to cut back well below the average daily amount for several days to a week to compensate. It blows through the usage so fast. They need to increase the usage limit to about 23 billion bytes for the last 30 days to compensate.

Are you a victim of their gift of speed?

n1581j
@wildblue.net

n1581j

Anon

Not sure if I noticed, the pages I use most don't reflect an increase in noticeable loading speed.

I'm suspecting Microsoft Upgrades which I have turned off except for selected choice. They have been offering me SP2 for months which I ignored. However, I did implement MS Windows Server 2012 from Disks which may have forced SP2 on me as a necessary requirement. That alone was only 3MB short of a GB so that may be the cause. That and others I didn't ask for. I think I'm going the Linux route after all that so it's a waste. It's only 4 days till I get billed again.

No. my point is and sure it was a snapshot but I've done a few today and its about average. 478 bytes/s is not even dialup speed. it's snail mail.

I never did get through on the phone, did manage to chat online, was offered an upgrade to Select for $79 + 9.95 or to go to Exede for the same price, free installation and no modem lease fee for 2 years after which it's $9.95 a month. I don't know if it's worth signing a new 2 year contract @ $24 more a month ($578) for what I do at home with LTE supposedly coming in 2013. Verizons map shows the extended area is close already, I could spit on a windy day and reach it. I have it at the Office which is 12 miles away.

Between a rock and a hard place with the wife bitching, maybe it's time to go on my travels again.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco to DrStrangLov

Premium Member

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov:

said by silbaco:

Hahaha. That's funny. Text web browsers are completely worthless

For Linux users:

w3m is a free software/open source text-based web browser. It has support for tables, frames,[2] SSL connections, color and inline images on suitable terminals. Generally, it renders pages in a form as true to their original layout as possible.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W3m

Yes, and if you want to actually use the internet you will use a regular web browser. Text-based browsers are okay when you only have a terminal or have too much time on your hands. Any other time and they are impractical.
said by n1581j :

I never did get through on the phone, did manage to chat online, was offered an upgrade to Select for $79 + 9.95 or to go to Exede for the same price, free installation and no modem lease fee for 2 years after which it's $9.95 a month. I don't know if it's worth signing a new 2 year contract @ $24 more a month ($578) for what I do at home with LTE supposedly coming in 2013. Verizons map shows the extended area is close already, I could spit on a windy day and reach it. I have it at the Office which is 12 miles away.

Between a rock and a hard place with the wife bitching, maybe it's time to go on my travels again.

I've heard great things about HomeFusion (other than the price) if that is what you are thinking about. I would consider waiting for that over Exede. Not that Exede is bad, but HomeFusion is simply better unless you need to download lots of data during the night like Exede offers. Otherwise the under 100ms latency from HomeFusion is great.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by silbaco:

I've heard great things about HomeFusion (other than the price)

Great speeds, they say....needless to say, Verizon's proxy brings about delusional speed results.

»/r0/do ··· test.jpg

»Re: [General] Home Fusion install scheduled
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

That would be true if it that were a Verizon HomeFusion speedtest, which it isn't. And assuming a proxy stands between HomeFusion and the internet and it is very possible there isn't one.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

See this thread: »[General] Home Fusion install scheduled

Its highly unlikely this speed test is for real on HomeFusion: »Re: [General] Home Fusion install scheduled
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

said by DrStrangLov:

See this thread: »[General] Home Fusion install scheduled

Its highly unlikely this speed test is for real on HomeFusion: »Re: [General] Home Fusion install scheduled

I have read that thread. In its entirety. And the one who posted that does not have HomeFusion. It was solely to show off OOKLA as being inaccurate, which at times it is. But so is every speedtest.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

n1581j can choose whatever, but articles I've seen only suggest

five to 12 Mbps down
two to five Mbps up speeds

so, when you see a post boasting this: »Re: HomeFusion

»/r0/do ··· 4142.png

its clear that's BS.

Even WiMax can do 13Mbps downstream, on a good day, but typical speeds will be around 4 Mbps, and slower.

It's all hype, with time, this too will slow down in areas with traffic (ie., congestion), just like 3 G, you might get 3.3Mbps without traffic. Same old hype...its fast, until the pilgrims come onboard.

Real tests are watching HD video, and downloads...

»gizmodo.com/5174718/excl ··· ed-tests

»www.engadget.com/2012/05 ··· ionwide/

»www.gottabemobile.com/20 ··· ionwide/
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

No reason to believe that is BS. Verizon does not cap LTE speeds for the time being. I have seen numerous reports of Verizon speeds hitting over 50mbps and At&t hitting over 70mbps. With a bucket sized cantenna, I am sure it can pull in the speeds. Granted it will slow down over time, but I have no doubt Verizon will fulfill their 5-12mbps promise and exceed it most of the time. There won't ever be many people on these more rural towers.

Exede will also slow down in the future. They may have made a promise not to significantly over sell to the point of serious degradation, but they will over sell and they already have. It only takes 10,000 people downloading at 12mbps to move over 120gbps of data through viasat-1, filling it. Viasat has made a bet that 10,000 people won't pull all 12mbps at any given time and it is a solid bet, except during peak time. Eventually the numbers will add up and peak time will slow. Not by much, but some. Will they truly stop selling then or not? Only time will tell.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by silbaco:

Exede...but they will over sell and they already have.

Not having enough of a Big Pipe is not the same as overselling; Big Pipes cost serious bucks, and most all ISPs increase pipe size when they perceive it is needed.

Go out and price a one gigabyte pipe, or even 100 mbps pipe; kept in mind that Exede might have to buy it from two different parties at each server location.

Yes, on Exede 5, when downloading a Youtube file, it may start out around 1 MB/sec, but if other users exist, traffic control will shift speed to around 100 KB/sec (0.8192 Mb/sec). For a file download, I don't complain, on Exede5. YMMV on Exede5/12