pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to FFH

Re: Freedom vs. Security

said by FFH:

That had nothing to do with getting or having the needed info. That was just the usual government political operatives failing to act on info for political reasons.

If government cannot even be bothered to do its expected job correctly with the powers that it has then it should absolutely not be entrusted with expanded powers.

The government can do what anyone else must if they wish to read someone's private correspondence, go to a judge and make the case for needing to do so.
--
USA 2012 - the mooches won.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

The government would have to actually present a case then. I get the feeling that letter agencies like to work behind closed doors with maximum privacy and freedom erosion in place.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

If government cannot even be bothered to do its expected job correctly with the powers that it has then it should absolutely not be entrusted with expanded powers.

The government can do what anyone else must if they wish to read someone's private correspondence, go to a judge and make the case for needing to do so.

I can't figure out why, for the last 10 years, the federal government has decided that judges, warrants, due process, etc. are an enemy to be circumvented. And I can't figure out why people support it, or put up with it without whimper.

If some foreign leaders began making speeches in the US saying they rejected the US system of justice as an inconvenient hindrance to the exercise of benevolent government power, there would be howls all over the country about it. If our own government does it though, well, it must be OK because terrorism, you know, and why bother, you know, and piracy and the children and oh yeah, terrorism.

You can't uphold the rule of law and a way of life by taking it apart, but that's what's happening. Through 2 administrations now, and the next one will be doing it too.