All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Tuffcalc
join:2012-08-04

Tuffcalc

Going over Rogers Internet Cap

Is this simply an issue of Rogers charging you the $100 overage fee, or if I am blasting through the cap (2TB a month or more), will they cut me off?
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

They can cut you off, but I've never (ever) heard of Rogers actually doing so.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to Tuffcalc

to Tuffcalc
said by Tuffcalc:

Is this simply an issue of Rogers charging you the $100 overage fee, or if I am blasting through the cap (2TB a month or more), will they cut me off?

They will not cut you off, they want their $100 more than anything and they know for a fact that their network can handle such usage no problem. They have no reason to cut you off, its simple as that.

2TB a month is nothing to them to be honest with you.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to Tuffcalc

to Tuffcalc
As per their policy, you will be suspended, but in practice it almost never happens.
Tuffcalc

Tuffcalc

Anyone have a link to the policy? When specifically would they potentially suspend (2TB)?
zacsaunders
join:2012-05-12

zacsaunders

I have gone over my limit by 2.3 TB and they never said anything, this was back when the max overage was 50$... Even on the phone when my parents were talking to them about discounts they checked the usage to try and get them to lower the internet, after seeing the usage they said that would be a bad idea LOL

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX to Tuffcalc

Premium Member

to Tuffcalc
I know someone who has gone over 20TB before, not even a phone call. Pay the overage fee and nothing happens.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to Tuffcalc

to Tuffcalc
said by Tuffcalc:

Anyone have a link to the policy? When specifically would they potentially suspend (2TB)?

Why are you so worried about a non issue?
Like I said they don't give a lion's crap about how much you use your internet or what you do with it. They are only in it for their $100 as long as you pay that, your account will not raise any red flags.

Anyways read the Bandwidth, Data Storage and Other Limitations and Violation of this Acceptable Use Policy from here. »www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/e ··· _Eng.pdf

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to Tuffcalc

Premium Member

to Tuffcalc
well unless you really need the speed I'd get a business account 8/1 for 84 a month it's what I got.
Tuffcalc

Tuffcalc

I need the upload speed for a Plex server I am running of which I would like to stream to 3 concurrent users (720p). I'm getting it installed tonight. Thanks for everyone's help.
osijek1289
join:2012-11-11
Mississauga, ON

osijek1289 to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
@TOPDAWG Sorry to be so inquisitive, but it seems you can confirm they do not charge for overages on your business account? Mind if I ask how long you've had it and what amount of traffic you pull in? (a range is fine)

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

They dont charge on business. I've had 12/2 for about 6 years at work and we routinely do 500-600gb of legit monthly traffic.

Never a peep.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to osijek1289

Premium Member

to osijek1289
said by osijek1289:

@TOPDAWG Sorry to be so inquisitive, but it seems you can confirm they do not charge for overages on your business account? Mind if I ask how long you've had it and what amount of traffic you pull in? (a range is fine)

sure this month on usenet I pulled down 255GB. I've had it over a year now never an overage and I go well over the normal caps rogers has all the time. If you want it just call and make up a business name to give them and that is it. They have to run a line right to the modem is the only issue I had.

It's not cheap but I can't get dsl over 3 down as the CO is across town and no remotes in area and no 3rd party's in my area for cable without a cap.

Phil_M
@rogers.com

Phil_M to Tuffcalc

Anon

to Tuffcalc
This is how Rogers is trying to make their cheese. Instead they're just hemorrhaging customers hand over fist.

RLBL
join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON

2 edits

RLBL to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

said by osijek1289:

sure this month on usenet I pulled down 255GB. I've had it over a year now never an overage and I go well over the normal caps rogers has all the time. If you want it just call and make up a business name to give them and that is it. They have to run a line right to the modem is the only issue I had.

It's not cheap but I can't get dsl over 3 down as the CO is across town and no remotes in area and no 3rd party's in my area for cable without a cap.

I am just reading that they are offering a business phone + Business internet standard (10/2) for $59.95 ...

If they never charge overage fees on a business, does that mean one could essentially get 10/2 unlimited for $60????

Seems like a good deal to me.

Update: I just got off the phone with a service rep and he did indeed tell me that there are no monthly caps.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

4 edits

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

where is you read about that plan? sure it's not a contract a long term contract? OK I see it damn at a 3 year term that is a long ass term to sign.

The hell? I see I was on 8/1 but that changed into 10/2 I think but damn if I'm getting that upload speed. Seems I got the download speed but not the upload.

HM looks like a pay 73 for my net that new 10/2 plan is 79. looks like I'm on some old bastard plan now. The extra 6 bucks is worth the higher download and upload to me I guess. I'll call them tomorrow.

Think I will see if they have the one year contract I was on the first time where the bill is like half for half of year normal for rest. Fork I hate living in an area with no other stuff I can pick. Here is what I got now. I guess the 79 counts the modem in the prices too. so my price would only go up like 5 bucks plus change if I'm understanding it right.

Hi-Speed Bus.Internet Faster $69.95
Hi-Speed Cable Modem $4.00

Total before taxes:$73.95
HST# $9.61
Total for Internet:$83.56
Expand your moderator at work

RLBL
Gloucester, ON

RLBL to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG

Re: Going over Rogers Internet Cap

When I called they said the phone + Internet @ $59.95 is for business locations.

However... if the business internet was going to a residence it is the same price without the phone.

You have these options:

$59.95 (the standard - $20) on a 3 year contract
$59.95 for 6 months on a 1 year contract
$59.95 for 1 year on a 2 year contract

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

thanks man I'll call tomorrow about the new 10/2 speed 5 bucks more is worth the upgrade. they better not try and say we have to make you pay for the upgrade.
TOPDAWG

TOPDAWG to Tuffcalc

Premium Member

to Tuffcalc
ok called was just an extra 3 bucks. so no big. not bad of course ignore the download as speed boost makes it hard to do a speed test. the upload I wish was closer to 2 not sure I can do anything about that.

RLBL
Gloucester, ON

RLBL

Yeah I did a speed test on mine last night (I am supposed to be getting 3 up - residential) and it seem I was getting something like 2.69.

Glad it was only $3 for the switch.

Question: I assume that the traffic management policies for uploading are also going to change on business packages as they are on residential... I know mine has yet to change (they have until the end of the year); has your changed, and can you tell if your uploads are better (or do you care)?

I was planning on switching over once I could see that the changes were also being applied to business accounts (but again, my goal is to use usenet so I doubt it really matters)

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

yeah my BT uploads at max. So it's off in my area. What package are you on?

RLBL
Gloucester, ON

RLBL

Currently on Express (35/3) with a discount. The only issue with the plan is the 120GB cap.

Poser
join:2002-07-28

Poser to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
During the @home days, I would upload large amounts of data. There was no usage cap back then, but they said that it was making service slow for others, so they cut me off.

800kB/s upload in the early 2000s was mind blowing.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict

for people on legacy dsl like me it still is