uniqs
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

1 recommendation

nitzan to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora

Re: (Ooma) Voice Communications Exchange (VCXC)

As everything else, this is all about critical mass - if enough carriers adopt these standards to make most calls go through it, it has a chance of succeeding. It's interesting to see CLECs like Level 3 and Bandwidth.com absent from the list, as well as some of the largest "small" providers like Vonage and MagicJack. $10k is a steep price and at least so far I don't think you actually get anything from it other than being part of the discussion. Also interesting that it's set as a "non-profit organization" yet the price tag is so high - I guess it's not making a profit after you pay Daniel Berninger, lol...
gweidenh
join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX

gweidenh

Bandwidth.com and Verizon are actually leading this effort. We talked about this a year ago...

»gigaom.com/2011/01/18/ba ··· ainable/
nitzan
Premium Member

nitzan

Premium Member

I could be mistaken, but it seems like the Verizon-Bandwidth.com deal was over PSTN calls.
gweidenh
Houston, TX

gweidenh

The point of these initiatives is to figure out a new billing model for phone calls. As we transition from a circuit switched telephone network riding on its own wires, to an 'over the top' IP service, traditional billing models and regulations may not make sense anymore.

The Bandwidth.com/Verizon deal sets a new model.

Its very similar to what VCVX wants to do. Break away from the current regulations and billing cycles.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to nitzan

Premium Member

to nitzan
said by nitzan:

As everything else, this is all about critical mass - if enough carriers adopt these standards to make most calls go through it, it has a chance of succeeding. It's interesting to see CLECs like Level 3 and Bandwidth.com absent from the list, as well as some of the largest "small" providers like Vonage and MagicJack. $10k is a steep price and at least so far I don't think you actually get anything from it other than being part of the discussion. Also interesting that it's set as a "non-profit organization" yet the price tag is so high - I guess it's not making a profit after you pay Daniel Berninger, lol...

AT&T going all VOIP by the end of 2014, and planning to use an agreed "standard" HD protocol doesn't sound like bad news to me.

It should lower VOIP termination rates, and improve call quality. The faster PSTN is replaced by a non-tariffed Internet based VOIP the better imo.
nitzan
Premium Member

1 recommendation

nitzan

Premium Member

Don't get me wrong- I like the idea of going all IP. The problem I see with this particular initiative is that it is led by one person who is very likely making a huge profit from this "non-profit" initiative, and the price tag on participating in the discussion (and later implementation if it ever comes) is so high it is prohibitive to most companies.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by nitzan:

Don't get me wrong- I like the idea of going all IP. The problem I see with this particular initiative is that it is led by one person who is very likely making a huge profit from this "non-profit" initiative, and the price tag on participating in the discussion (and later implementation if it ever comes) is so high it is prohibitive to most companies.

Bingo!

If they were truly interested in having broader representation, they would not want to charge the same membership fee to all size companies.

Other industry initiatives do NOT work this way.

For example, MANY industry groups charge annual dues based on the number of employees that a company has.

---------------------------------------

What's the attraction with Daniel Berninger

His own resume does not list anything new since Free World Dialup, and it's not clear if he ever finished his doctoral dissertation from the 1990's.
»www.danielberninger.com/ ··· ume.html

I am sure he is a fine fellow, but I never liked that TV show, "The Six Million Dollar Man".

----------------------------------

THIS Berninger/Pulver project looks to be dead in the water since 2010. Under "devices" it lists just 3 phones as the latest and greatest, including the outdated Gigaset A580IP !!

»www.siptosip.net/about.html
»www.siptosip.net/devices.html

[This siptosip NOT to be confused with SIP2SIP which is actually useful].
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

1 recommendation

pandora to nitzan

Premium Member

to nitzan
said by nitzan:

This brings back an age old question ... how the heck does Ooma do it? Ooma's finances never made sense, but they can afford $10,000 a month to be part of this initiative? What do member companies, or particularly, Ooma get out of it??
gweidenh
Houston, TX

gweidenh

If this type of initiative works, these companies will benefit from much lower costs of doing business. They will also benefit from being in a much less regulated business as well.