Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LFHC

join:2012-11-04
Collinsville, VA

Possibility of getting cable?

Click for full size
This picture shows where Comcast ends and how far to my house it is about 1 mile away.

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18

None if you want them to pay for the infrastructure.
If you want to pay it they will do it (maybe), but you'll be paying a LOT for it to be done.

They have a metric that I can't recall ATM, but there have to be so many serviceable homes in a sq. mile if I recall. Don't think you meet that criteria there.

LFHC

Collinsville, VA

up to my house there are 9 houses including mine.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

9 per mile is nothing.....

good luck with that.
--
I'm better than you!

anon623

@mich.net
reply to LFHC

Yea you would definitely be in a tough spot there. As others have stated it could be extremely costly to have internet brought to you. (could be thousands or tens of thousands) Even with 9 houses on the road I'd guess a lot of those are set back so far from the road they would still have issues getting service because it would be 300ft or more. So out of the 9 maybe 4 or 5 of those would even be serviceable if they did run a cable.

If you can get any type of 4G service you would probably come out ahead to just use that and pay the overages you incur. Would likely have a better return over the next 10 years than having cable ran to your house.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to LFHC

Unless you want to help pay the bill they are not going to do it because there is no ROI in it. It would cost them $15-20k to get service to you and they would likely never recover their costs in any reasonable amount of time.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5
reply to LFHC

FYI - There have been some other recent threads on accessing cable service, albeit, in the one case the run to the house was about 300 feet and for the other it was about 1000 feet:

»Unserviceable address installation question

»[Connectivity] "not servicable" despite trunk line and

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE

those are just long drop/small extensions. a standard "non-standard" install.....

giving the OP hope on this one is pointless...
--
I'm better than you!

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to LFHC

It's actually suprising that cable gets as close as it does, that far from martinsville.
Enjoy the low density lifestyle while you can, most likely within a few years fixed LTE or cable plant extentions will bring serive once the density increases.

LFHC

Collinsville, VA
reply to gar187er

I figured that would be a long shot I could possibly put up 5000 for the build I kinda doubt that would help much I have centurylink and they just finished running fiber to us I like cable better though.i have called Comcast 4 times and each time they say we will send someone to survey and get back to you I have never got a answer I do want to know what it will take to get cable but Comcast never does a survey I think.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to LFHC

If you are looking for HSI only (no TV) and if you can arrange for true line of sight (well above all those trees) between the point where Comcast stops and your house, then it would be relatively inexpensive to set up a wireless link.

The key is line of sight - "sort of", "almost", "only a couple of trees", "just a few branches" doesn't cut it. In other words a tower at each end.

LFHC

Collinsville, VA

I have thought about a wireless link but I don't like it I want everything to be hardwired I will be able to get 25 Mbps from centurylink soon stuck at 1.5 now but Comcast has so much better upload speeds. And line of sight would be impossible too many trees and it is not flat between there and my house. I talked to someone on the street and they said they thought at one point Comcast wanted to run cable down the street if everyone paid a certain price per house

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
reply to LFHC

If you have fiber from the telco, you won't need cable, even Uverse or similar "not quite FTTH" is a big step up from dialup or satellite choices.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

1 edit
reply to LFHC

said by LFHC:

I have thought about a wireless link but I don't like it I want everything to be hardwired I will be able to get 25 Mbps from centurylink soon stuck at 1.5 now but Comcast has so much better upload speeds. And line of sight would be impossible too many trees and it is not flat between there and my house.

Speed isn't the issue with wireless. I have a link that exceeds 70Mbs symetrical across a 2 mile valley that works very well. Getting true LOS is another matter and that can make it impracticle.

LFHC

Collinsville, VA
reply to tshirt

Oh yeah it's a whole lot better than satellite,DSL was made available in Jan of this year and they just ran fiber a few months ago. Cable is just better for uploads

LFHC

Collinsville, VA

I have tried to find the franchise authority but I have had no luck maybe Virginia does not have one does anyone know?

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to LFHC

Here is the answer:

Yes, its possible, but there will be construction costs directly to you. Depending on the plant extension needed, itll be 5-10k. If its worth it to you, then go ahead and do it. Itll certainly be better than any internet you can get now, and to an extent, increase the value of the home.

You can ask your neighbors to chip in, and maybe come to an agreement. Generally though, the franchise agreements are based upon a percentage of homes passed, so as long as CC is servicing new subdivisions, they will keep above par to meet their end of the agreement though.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
reply to LFHC

The State Corp Commission regulates some stuff but the locals are the regulating authority in VA. Independent cities or counties etc.

LFHC

Collinsville, VA
reply to baineschile

I just sent a email to corporate customer service about a survey I just want to hear from Comcast what they are willing to do and the exact price of the build. With centurylink bringing bonded DSL that would be more of a competition for Comcast to reach more people possibly

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to LFHC

said by LFHC:

I figured that would be a long shot I could possibly put up 5000 for the build I kinda doubt that would help much I have centurylink and they just finished running fiber to us I like cable better though.i have called Comcast 4 times and each time they say we will send someone to survey and get back to you I have never got a answer I do want to know what it will take to get cable but Comcast never does a survey I think.

most likely cause construction knows there is no way in hell they are building it....it would be in the 10+ thousand range if even at all possible due to amp casacde.
--
I'm better than you!

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to LFHC

Let us know how that turns out, it would be interesting to see a bid, if they will even provide one.

But gar187er See Profile may be right, it may be so far from any practical design, that some engineer in the local constuction office can say "No Way!" just looking at the plant maps, without ever leaving his desk.
They should still send you a "Sorry, at this time.." type letter.

LFHC

Collinsville, VA

The guy from Comcast I am talking to said he is contacting a technical department to see what they may be able to offer me.

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE

you need to talk to construction if anybody...
--
I'm better than you!

LFHC

Collinsville, VA

So guys I got a email today and the guy is talking to construction to see if they can extend service to my home he said he should know more next week.