spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Varys
@209.217.86.x

Varys

Anon

[Extreme Plus] Changed IP

This morning I noticed I had no internet connection and the modem lights were all orange. After a power cycle everything came back, but my IP changed from 99. to 72.

I thought that maybe the new speed was enabled, but a quick speedtest showed nothing as changed, beside the fact that the new 72 IP is detected being from the Toronto area instead of Ottawa.
Expand your moderator at work

Rogers_Mike
@rogers.com

Rogers_Mike to Varys

Anon

to Varys

Re: [Extreme Plus] Changed IP

What modem do you have? The cisco did receive new firmware upgrades.

Varys
@209.217.86.x

Varys

Anon

I have the Cisco modem/wirless router. Yesterday I also got the new speeds and the BT throttling seems to be gone. Hopefully it will stay that way.

leto
@rogers.com

leto

Anon

I noticed that too... I live in Ottawa yet I'm getting a 72... IP which makes speedtest.net think I'm in Toronto. Wouldn't that slow down DNS lookups\routing when browsing?
Rogers tech got me nowhere, they say there's no way for them to release and renew a WAN IP. Does anyone know if that's BS or if I'm really stuck with this IP?
Modem is SMCD3GN

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

There is absolutely no difference between receiving a 72 series IP and a 99 series IP. It will not make the slightest difference in performance.

The ONLY time this has mattered was when new IP blocks from bogon assignments were made (unused or assigned to someone else) ... the routings would get messed up because net admins were reluctant to change routings for bogon IPs until the new assignee signed in blood that the IP block was legitimately theirs!

ALL of Rogers Ontario connections route through Toronto, EVEN if you are connecting to a site in Ottawa. Yup it goes Ottawa -> Toronto -> Ottawa and all that does is add a few mS to the transit times. Barely enough to be noticeable.

Rogers has attempted to put geo-location information into the DNS databases for IP blocks, but that doesn't really mean anything. It's like your filling in a "Where are you from?" when visiting a museum for example ... you could write "Moon" and it wouldn't mean anything. The geolocation is sometimes helpful in locating where an IP is used, but for most large ISPs, it doesn't mean a lot.

Rogers IPs often state Toronto because that's where the head office is.

There are ways to get a new IP, but it won't make any difference in this situation, and there's no guarantee that you'll get to a different IP block.

Your typical Rogers front line tech won't have a clue as to how to release and therefore reassign you with a new IP number by clearing ARP tables.