|reply to jack b |
Re: Christmas lights power questions..
said by jack b:Insurance will not voided because of trimming the plug. That is a myth that when someone modifies wiring in their house and the wiring is not code compliant, the house burns, insurance is denied. Insurance claims are not denied because of something stupid. Insurance claims are denied when the damage is done intentionally to get an insurance claim.
God forbid you have a fire, or somebody gets injured or worse, and the insurance investigator discovers your "modification" to the plug... you can kiss your coverage goodbye.
|reply to raythompsontn |
Here in Quebec, it's so strict that it even becomes UNSAFE. You technically can't do more than change a light bulb if you aren't a licensed electrician. What it means is those who want to do some DIY work won't even be able to pay for an inspection, so it will go uninspected.
I think there is a difference between if a fire/damage was caused by unlicensed electrical work that is up to code vs. not up to code.
I can see an insurance company going to court against the home owner if a fire was started, for example, because an extension cord was used as wiring behind a wall.
Now if there was DIY/unlicensed wiring done, but it was up to code, and it caught fire because of a faulty breaker (but proper amperage rating), then that's another story.