Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to LFHC

Re: Possibility of getting cable?

If you are looking for HSI only (no TV) and if you can arrange for true line of sight (well above all those trees) between the point where Comcast stops and your house, then it would be relatively inexpensive to set up a wireless link.

The key is line of sight - "sort of", "almost", "only a couple of trees", "just a few branches" doesn't cut it. In other words a tower at each end.

LFHC

join:2012-11-04
Collinsville, VA
I have thought about a wireless link but I don't like it I want everything to be hardwired I will be able to get 25 Mbps from centurylink soon stuck at 1.5 now but Comcast has so much better upload speeds. And line of sight would be impossible too many trees and it is not flat between there and my house. I talked to someone on the street and they said they thought at one point Comcast wanted to run cable down the street if everyone paid a certain price per house

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

1 edit
said by LFHC:

I have thought about a wireless link but I don't like it I want everything to be hardwired I will be able to get 25 Mbps from centurylink soon stuck at 1.5 now but Comcast has so much better upload speeds. And line of sight would be impossible too many trees and it is not flat between there and my house.

Speed isn't the issue with wireless. I have a link that exceeds 70Mbs symetrical across a 2 mile valley that works very well. Getting true LOS is another matter and that can make it impracticle.