All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
terpsucka
join:2012-11-21
Potomac, MD

terpsucka

[Speed] Any way to check speeds prior to sign up?

I just bought a house and moved in. I'm considering switching to Comcast HSI, but the previous owner told me the speeds he got when he had Comcast were way below advertised. It's been years since he had the service, but presumably the issue may still exist. Is there any way I can check the service speed before I go through the trouble of switching?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

You can cancel comcast at any time. So why not just try it? Congestion is really a thing of the past with DOCSIS 3, so chances are you will get the advertised speeds unless there is a line issue specific to your house, in which case Comcast would come fix it.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to terpsucka

MVM

to terpsucka
Ask your neighbors?

trythisfirst
@comcast.net

trythisfirst to terpsucka

Anon

to terpsucka
Just try it, you have nothing to lose.

»www.comcast.com/Corporat ··· ect=true
terpsucka
join:2012-11-21
Potomac, MD

terpsucka to graysonf

to graysonf
None of the neighbors I've spoken to use Comcast, unfortunately.

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam

The only way is to actually try it. Your neighbors may get good or bad speeds but that may have to do with their own home wiring. Check to see if your cables are RG-6, as that is the best cable for in-home cabling. Did the previous owner have a Docsis 3.0 compliant modem? As you can tell, there are many variables that affects signal quality and speed.

As trythisfirst said, get it installed and check for yourself. If it's true that the quality isn't good then you can cancel without fee, within 30 days of signup.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to terpsucka

Premium Member

to terpsucka
I have to agree with the others, try it 1st and see. Good luck to you. You never mention what plan you're getting, if all you do is web browsing, videos in HD, online gaming, Performance is good.