how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

27" Apple Display Too Big?

"Downgraded" this past weekend to the Mac Mini with the Thunderbolt 27" display. Now that I've had a week it seems overly large with me sitting two feet away. Now I'm rethinking whether or not I should have stayed with the laptop even though it primarily stays on the desk. I would like the 21" iMac possibly but it isn't shipping yet and the clock is ticking on my ability to return.

Other monitor options that aren't SO large?

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

Re: 27" Apple Display Too Big?

Gee, never heard anyone want a smaller monitor before. One of the things I dislike about laptops is the small screen. I have a 24 inch on my Mac Mini. I could go larger.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Teasip

If you only work with one thing at a time then, yes, you don't need a screen that big. If you find yourself switching between apps frequently, then you should be keeping each on your screen and sized to fit a portion of it.

In my case, I have three 24" monitors and each has multiple windows open in them but that's an extreme case compared to normal users (I"m a web developer).

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1
reply to Teasip

Click for full size
said by Teasip:

"Downgraded" this past weekend to the Mac Mini with the Thunderbolt 27" display. Now that I've had a week it seems overly large with me sitting two feet away. Now I'm rethinking whether or not I should have stayed with the laptop even though it primarily stays on the desk. I would like the 21" iMac possibly but it isn't shipping yet and the clock is ticking on my ability to return.

Other monitor options that aren't SO large?

I cant live without it - makes my 21 inch monitor (to the right) look tiney - that screen on the right is for all the windows VM stuff on my mac...
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Brendan
Warr Guitar is here

join:2000-07-14
Littleton, CO
reply to Teasip

I had a 27" iMac for a few weeks... I got taco-neck from trying to view the display at around 3 ft. Had to downgrade to 21.5"

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to Teasip

27” too large,….. huh,...

And you’re from Texas,…..!?!

Anyone else seeing the irony here,….?

***edit***

Honestly no, I don’t think 27” monitors are too big but these things can be subjective. I have five 27” monitors of different make and model and while I wouldn’t make a change now I could see going bigger in the future.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to dellsweig

Quite an arsenal!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

Along with an iPhone 5 to take a pano of the weaponry

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to Octavean

No doubt. I went from a Dell 30" to a T-Bolt and thought I was cutting my hand off. No way I could do daily work with a 21. I ordered a JPN retina MBP today but really debated picking up a 17" refurb instead. Eye candy won in this instance.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Teasip

My iMac is a 27" and I love it. A week and a half ago, I bought a 13" MBP Retina as a new "work" machine under my employer's new BYOD policy. (the 13" for portability when I travel on business) I'm currently using it with the 22" Dell monitor here in my office that was mated to my older Dell laptop. I'm not overly happy about it...and have decided that when the cards fall right, a 27" T-bolt display will replace the very nice, but inadequate 22" Dell.

That said, what folks already intimated is good...if you tend to only run one thing at a time, then a smaller screen can work well. If, like many of us, you multitask and prefer to be able to see multiple windows and applications concurrently, then the larger screen is a must.

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI
reply to Brendan

I gotta ask: what is "taco-neck" ??

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

I had the same question..

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsGwPyrSNVE

pitroad01

join:2006-07-10
Raleigh, NC

amazing, I posted a similar question awhile back when I thought about replacing my 18.5" monitor with a 32" HDTV that took a lightening hit and zapped the HDMI ports. It still would work fine as a monitor but I thought it was too big. Bottom line, I hooked it up and would never go back to anything smaller.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
reply to Teasip

You'll get used to it ...

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to Teasip

27" Apple monitors are the way to go. You may think it's a lot to deal with right away but the resolution is what makes it worth every penny. At work I have a thunderbolt display, at home I have a 27 iMac and an Apple Displayport 27" monitor and I would never go down in size. Once you get use to it there is no turning back.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

27" too big? I have dual 27" displays for my imac machine, 6 20" monitors for my eyefinity...