how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

Samsung's A15 Chromebook W/Ubuntu Is Crazy Fast

Samsung's A15 Chromebook Loaded With Ubuntu Is Crazy Fast:

Google recently launched the Samsung Chromebook that for $249 USD features an 11-inch display, a 16GB SSD, a promise of 6.5-hour battery life, and is backed by a Samsung Exynos 5 SoC. The Samsung Exynos 5 packs a 1.7GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A15 processor with ARM Mali-T604 graphics. With using this new ARM Cortex-A15 chip plus the Samsung Chromebook not being locked down so it can be loaded up with a Linux distribution like Ubuntu or openSUSE, it was a must-buy for carrying out some interesting Cortex-A15 Linux benchmarks. The Exynos 5 Dual in this affordable laptop packs an impressive performance punch.

Test results at site.

FF4m3

@rr.com
ARM Cortex-A15 vs. NVIDIA Tegra 3 vs. Intel x86:

Last week I shared some early benchmarks of the Samsung Chromebook while running Ubuntu Linux. The Samsung Chromebook is very interesting since it's one of the few readily available computers on the market employing an ARM Cortex-A15 processor rather than Cortex-A9 or other models. The Cortex-A15 found in the Samsung Exynos 5 Dual SoC proved to be very powerful and this Chromebook was quite a good deal with it being trivial to load Ubuntu Linux (and other distributions) while costing only $250 USD for this ARM-based laptop. In the past week I have carried out additional ARM Cortex-A15 benchmarks, including a comparison of its performance the the NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core ARM "Cardhu" tablet and several Intel Atom/Core x86 systems.

Overall the performance out of the Samsung Exynos 5 Dual on the new Chromebook is very attractive. While Ubuntu on the Chromebook isn't perfect (the broken touchpad and sound support, etc), for those looking towards the ARM Cortex-A15 for development purposes or as a test bed for experimenting with Linux on ARM, the Samsung Chromebook is a very attractive bargain priced at $250 USD.

It was surprising to see the wide performance margin the dual-core 1.7GHz A15 had over the quad-core 1.4GHz A9 in the Tegra 3. In a majority of the cases, the Samsung Exynos 5 Dual also easily beat out all of the tested Intel Atom processors. And then there was the Intel Core i3 330M, which was faster, but on the performance-per-Watt this would be a very different story. The Core i3 330M has a 35 Watt TDP while the Exynos 5 Dual operates within a few Watt envelope. Unfortunately due to the varying displays and other hardware differences, an easy power consumption / performance-per-Watt comparison couldn't be done for this article.

Details at site.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to FF4m3
quote:
Current limitations though of running Ubuntu 12.04 on the Samsung Chromebook is that the touchpad didn't work at all for me (some users have reported success), sound is broken, and there isn't any hardware graphics acceleration at this time
Yeah, those are pretty limiting limitations
--
My place : »www.schettino.us