mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag to batsona

to batsona

Re: Symptomps of a failing fuel pump...

said by batsona:

I asked 3 mechanics at the dealership about why an electric motor attached to a pump that has to run for hours on end without so much as burping, producing fuel pressure in below-freezing cold winters as well as brutally hot summers, last for 100,000 miles of operation and over ten years of time, all the while being submersed in gasoline, and not to mention that fact it had to do it all through a filter that had never been touched is $500. They said all fuel pumps are about that expensive. Gosh, I guess someone needs to think about health insurance for cars....

There, I fixed that for you...

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by mattmag:

said by batsona:

I asked 3 mechanics at the dealership about why an electric motor attached to a pump that has to run for hours on end without so much as burping, producing fuel pressure in below-freezing cold winters as well as brutally hot summers, last for 100,000 miles of operation and over ten years of time, all the while being submersed in gasoline, and not to mention that fact it had to do it all through a filter that had never been touched is $500. They said all fuel pumps are about that expensive. Gosh, I guess someone needs to think about health insurance for cars....

Indeed!!!
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to mattmag

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

said by batsona:

That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. My Civic fuel pump lasted 10 years and 200,000 miles*, and its fuel filter isn't even replaceable.

* That's when I got rid of the car. As far as I know, the pump is still going strong.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Bob4:

My Civic fuel pump lasted 10 years and 200,000 miles*, and its fuel filter isn't even replaceable.

What Year and Model Civic does not have a replaceable fuel filter???
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

said by Doctor Olds:

said by Bob4:

My Civic fuel pump lasted 10 years and 200,000 miles*, and its fuel filter isn't even replaceable.

What Year and Model Civic does not have a replaceable fuel filter???

It is replaceable (everything is replaceable ), but that's not part of the normal maintenance, and Honda says the fuel filter should last the life of the car. The filter is located in the gas tank.
»www.civicforums.com/foru ··· ent.html

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

I never changed the fuel filter when I had my Civic HB (the '89). I got it with 46K miles - 99.999999% sure it was not changed before then. I got rid of it with 214K miles on the clock...

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

I never changed the fuel filter when I had my Civic HB (the '89). I got it with 46K miles - 99.999999% sure it was not changed before then. I got rid of it with 214K miles on the clock...

All that means is you lived in an area where gas contamination is low or is different in type, but not all areas of the US have that or the contaminants your area has stay in the tank (are too heavy or too big) and are not picked up by the pump to get into the fuel filter.

It just shows how people can ignore a vehicle's maintenance and that vehicle will sometimes not suffer from the neglect. However that is not the norm.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

said by Doctor Olds:

It just shows how people can ignore a vehicle's maintenance and that vehicle will sometimes not suffer from the neglect. However that is not the norm.

I'll say it again: With my Civic, replacing the fuel filter was not part of normal maintenance. It was not on the maintenance schedule. The fuel filter was designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle.

mattmag

NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag to Doctor Olds

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

Actually, it is becoming quite the norm. Many vehicles now have "non-serviceable" fuel filters that are an integral part of the fuel pump module. They do not require replacement, and during my tenure with those particular versions I never encountered a case where they caused any problems.

That's not to say I was in favor of the change, but it does seem to be a more common scenario these days.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

I remember on an older vehicle of mine, changing the fuel filter made a night and day difference. With a lot of these new cars that are "life" filters, will that cause a problem if they needed to be changed on older cars?

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

said by fartness:

I remember on an older vehicle of mine, changing the fuel filter made a night and day difference. With a lot of these new cars that are "life" filters, will that cause a problem if they needed to be changed on older cars?

Well that was part of my reservation, but the new "system filters" as some are now called are made strictly to protect the pumps from what I would call "debris" rather than the fine particulates that the older filters, like the paper ones would catch.

Engineers claim that the pumps today are robust enough to pass such particulates and they will flow through the injection system. Of course this ultimately leads to a need to keep the injectors clean, but fuel additives are such that this is becoming less and less of an issue than the days when I started, and so far they seem to be right... As hard as that is for me to admit.