spc
uniqs
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Inssomniak

to Inssomniak

Re: [Bus. Ops] Hosting Akamai

it is small, but i meant 4gigs per week going to NF. Sorry for the confusion.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by TBBroadband:

it is small, but i meant 4gigs per week going to NF. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh ok yea they wont even talk to you for 4 gigs a week.

As someone else mentioned, 50+ megabits per second is a good starting point
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

The requirement is 8gigs per month according to the email they sent me (NF). The peering is different. And right now I'm not looking to peer with them, just bring content closer via their server appliance.

from NF:

brief summary of the Open Connect Appliance (OCA)

Each OCA is 4RU, and holds about 100TB of content
Each box can serve up to 8.5Gbps of Netflix traffic
Typical deployments are around 5+Gbps (per month)
In terms of steering subscribers to the box- you'll advertise the networks you want the system to serve over BGP (to the OCA). When someone from one of those networks goes to watch Netflix, our Master Control will direct it to the box in your network as the primary streaming server.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by TBBroadband:

The requirement is 8gigs per month according to the email they sent me (NF).

I think you are mixing up terminology a bit. You have said gigs transferred, which means "gigabytes". The email you quoted is saying gigs (specifically Gbps) as in "gigabits per second".

If you are really only transferring 4 gigabytes per week, you essentially have no netflix traffic. I mean, that's like a single person streaming one high-def movie per week, or maybe half a dozen standard def movies in the same timeframe. Caching would be a 100% waste in that situation.

But to be fair, it's a total contradiction to say "5+Gbps (per month)". That's like saying "5 miles per hour (per month)" so the email doesn't really make sense either.

So, with some clarification, can you tell us how much Netflix traffic you actually transfer in a month, or how much sustained Netflix traffic you have during peak times? Unless you're talking about numbers in the hundreds of gigabytes or even terabytes of NF traffic per month, I'm guessing that caching will be of little benefit.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

The requirement is 8gigs per month according to the email they sent me (NF). The peering is different. And right now I'm not looking to peer with them, just bring content closer via their server appliance.

from NF:

brief summary of the Open Connect Appliance (OCA)

Each OCA is 4RU, and holds about 100TB of content
In terms of steering subscribers to the box- you'll advertise the networks you want the system to serve over BGP (to the OCA). When someone from one of those networks goes to watch Netflix, our Master Control will direct it to the box in your network as the primary streaming server.

'

Yea as Jcremin suggested, the email states:

Thats 8.5 Gigabits PER SECOND, and 5+ Gigabits PER SECOND.

Quick math shows that to reach 8.5 Gigabits per second, you would have to have somewhere around 4500 customers all watching at the same time with an average stream of just under 2 megabits per second.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to jcremin

to jcremin
After checking the few locations that I currently have customers at (4 MDUs) I have between 10-20gigs per month of NF traffic. That's checking everything from the start until this evening at 7pm.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

Yes that's a tiny amount of traffic to Netflix. 20 gigs amounts to 5-6 HD movies or 15-20 regular movies or less.

A cache will have zero effect. Netflix will not give you a very expensive box for that unfortunately.