uniqs

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

which way to install cabin air filter?

I got a Hyundai Accent 2006. to change it's is the same as this persons model. I take it the air flow arrow should go up towards the dash.

»www.paulstravelpictures. ··· dex.html

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

The flow arrow should point toward your ductwork, and away from the fan housing. It seems by that picture the arrow would face upward.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to TOPDAWG

MVM

to TOPDAWG
Is the arrow not accompanied by the letters "up"?

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

said by Cho Baka:

Is the arrow not accompanied by the letters "up"?

nope just point way of the air flow. I had it right just wanted to make sure.

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester

Premium Member

It looks to me that you would want the arrow to point down.
If you look at the pictures of the filter in the link you supplied, the debris is on the top of the filter indicating the air is flowing from top to bottom. The arrow on the filter indicates the direction of air flow.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

said by TheHarvester:

It looks to me that you would want the arrow to point down.
If you look at the pictures of the filter in the link you supplied, the debris is on the top of the filter indicating the air is flowing from top to bottom. The arrow on the filter indicates the direction of air flow.

I was having trouble deciding that myself. It appeared that the round area below the filter was the fan housing, so I guessed upward airflow? Does that just look like ducting instead to you? And I agree on seeing the debris on there, which would support your view on that.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

well the fan in the unit is on the bottom it's this round white fan in there. Kind of the shape of a cup.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
FYI: One thing I discovered with the car air filter is the fact that in most vehicles the dirt side of the filter is on top. So if there's a small leaf on the filter and when you pull the filter out of it's small opening, the leaf will get knocked off when you pull the filter out and then fall down onto the fan squirrel gage and cause it to be off balance and noisy. This happened on our '10 Venza last year. Only way to cure it was to pull the fan/motor assy off, which was only a 10 min job to remove the 1" long leaf. So if your fan seems noisy after you remove the filter, you'll now know what happened.

Cho Baka
MVM
there

Cho Baka to TOPDAWG

MVM

to TOPDAWG
It is also a good idea to read the owners manual before replacing the filter.

Some vehicles require the controls to be set to a certain position to enable filter removal.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

oh the filter is in. it's easy to change just wanted to make sure I had it going the right way.

Cho Baka
MVM
there

Cho Baka

MVM

I was thinking of the "the next guy" when I posted...

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

I was having trouble deciding that myself. It appeares that the round area below the filter was the fan housing, so I guessed upward airflow? Does that just look like ducting instead to you? And I agree on seeing the debris on there, which would support your view on that.

It appears to me that the fan is in the round box on the bottom but you need to remember how a squirrel cage fan works. It always pulls air into the center of the fan and expels it out the sides. That along with the debris on the top of the filter leads me to believe that the fan pulls the air through the filter into the center of the fan and then pushes it through the blades and, more than likely, out the back towards the firewall and to the desired vents.