pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 edit

8 recommendations

reply to Kommie

Re: Walmart Strike and Thanksgiving Opening!

I never got why these whiners are complaining. Perhaps they should be thankful they have jobs, which for quite a few of them, seem to cover the costs of those green shirts, protest signs, computers and Internet access.

Lots of people work on Turkey Day:

Soldiers
Cops
Firefighters
Paramedics
Doctors
Nurses
Hospital staff
Train Engineers
Bus Drivers
Delivery people
Restaurant workers
Grocery store workers

So if these people don't want to be bothered to work on Turkey Day, they can quit and make room for people who want to do so.

And besides, stores like Walmart, Target and Sears would not be open on Turkey Day if not for people wanting to shop on Turkey Day. Perhaps these strikers should be picketing the shoppers' homes instead.
--
USA 2012 - the mooches won.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

2 recommendations

said by pnh102:

I never got why these whiners are complaining. Perhaps they should be thankful they have jobs, which for quite a few of them, seem to cover the costs of those green shirts, protest signs, computers and Internet access.

Lots of people work on Turkey Day:

Soldiers
Cops
Firefighters
Paramedics
Doctors
Nurses
Hospital staff
Train Engineers
Bus Drivers
Delivery people
Restaurant workers
Grocery store workers

So if these people don't want to be bothered to work on Turkey Day, they can quit and make room for people who want to do so.

And besides, stores like Walmart, Target and Sears would not be open on Turkey Day if not for people wanting to shop on Turkey Day. Perhaps these strikers should be picketing the shoppers' homes instead.

There's no pressing need for retail stores to be open. What happened the to the days when EVERYTHING was closed on major holidays? Guess what, people survived. There's no reason for this except the almighty buck. And people who shop on holidays like this are stupid to encourage it.

Maybe Walmart employees would like the day off to be with their families, ever think of that? Walmart (and other retailers) aren't going to go broke by any means.

And bus/train services are cut WAY back on major holidays, so they don't really belong on your list. Grocery store workers fall into the same catagory as Walmart workers, no need for those stores to be open. If you can't get your shit together by the day before (like we always used to), too bad.

Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you enjoy YOUR day home with YOUR family.
--
The Alien in the White House

19,994 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
reply to pnh102
said by pnh102:

Soldiers
Cops
Firefighters
Paramedics
Doctors
Nurses
Hospital staff
Train Engineers
Bus Drivers
Delivery people
Restaurant workers
Grocery store workers

I wouldn't call Soldiers "Workers"

Cops,Firefighters,Paramedics, and Doctors are emergency workers and usually get compensated in other days.

So do most Hospital Staff.

Train Engineers also get compensated in other ways.

Delivery People -->USPS is closed ,so is UPS, not sure about FedEx as they have no union.

Restaurant Workers- Recent Development, everything used to be closed on Thanksgiving due to Blue Laws.

Grocery--> Same as above.

Also the people probably taking the shifts during thanksgiving are the ones barley making ends meet on 9/hr.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to La Luna
said by La Luna:

There's no pressing need for retail stores to be open. What happened the to the days when EVERYTHING was closed on major holidays? Guess what, people survived. There's no reason for this except the almighty buck. And people who shop on holidays like this are stupid to encourage it.

You could make the same argument about the people who work the Westminster Dog Show, football players, the people who work the various parades that happen on this day too, as well as all the other people who work today to furnish everyone else with all this entertainment. But yet, they still show up to fulfill the employment obligations that they chose to take on.
said by La Luna:

Maybe Walmart employees would like the day off to be with their families, ever think of that? Walmart (and other retailers) aren't going to go broke by any means.

We all have to live in a world where we don't get things that we want. Sure, it sucks, but in a day and age where jobs are getting more and more scarce, perhaps this isn't the best way to show that disagreement.
--

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to Kommie
said by Kommie:

Cops,Firefighters,Paramedics, and Doctors are emergency workers and usually get compensated in other days.

So do most Hospital Staff.

Train Engineers also get compensated in other ways.

So do Walmart workers and others who work on holidays. No one is expecting them to work 24/7/365. Ironically, many retail employers are slashing hours for people so these people will get more free time off than they wished.
said by Kommie:

Delivery People -->USPS is closed ,so is UPS, not sure about FedEx as they have no union.

I know a few truck drivers who are making deliveries today. They fall into this category.
said by Kommie:

Restaurant Workers- Recent Development, everything used to be closed on Thanksgiving due to Blue Laws.

Grocery--> Same as above.

Blue Laws were rooted in Christianity. Wouldn't you have a problem if government decided to reapply this reasoning to bring these laws back?
--

Kommie
Premium
united state
Walmart workers get straight pay for working today, and some are forced on the shift by taking a normal day away and putting them in on the thanksgiving shift.

Those emergency service workers you mentioned proboly all have unions. Train Engineers like those on Amtrak are Federal Workers and have the day made up as a comp day for vacation.

Those truck drivers, who do they work for ? Subcontracted?

When we had the Blue Laws, everything was closed on Saturday and Sunday(Plus Holidays), I think it was a lot healthier for the populace

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

said by Kommie:

Walmart workers get straight pay for working today, and some are forced on the shift by taking a normal day away and putting them in on the thanksgiving shift.

So? Jobs are a bit scarce these days. Would these people prefer to be unemployed? When you work part time, of course you will make only regular pay unless you hit 40 hours a week. This has been basic US labor law for at least what, 70 years now?

We'd all love to make a six figure salary but at the end of the day we are paid what our employers think we are worth.
said by Kommie:

Those emergency service workers you mentioned proboly all have unions. Train Engineers like those on Amtrak are Federal Workers and have the day made up as a comp day for vacation.

Lol unions... Given what they have done to companies like GM, Chrysler, and Hostess, as well as industries like US manufacturing, textile, steel and many others, perhaps Walmart management thinks it might be a good idea to avoid them.
--

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
quote:
So? Jobs are a bit scarce these days. Would these people prefer to be unemployed?

Sorry but being subjected to abuse as opposed to being fired is not a valid choice. People deserve to have a livable work environment.

CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC
reply to pnh102
said by pnh102:

In case you missed it, that is exactly what Kommie was doing... picketing the shoppers via a virtual picket line. Count me in

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to pnh102
Network Administrators.... I've spent most of my "Day off" dealing with a customer who is an absolute jerk today. He can't believe that we're not running a 100% full staff on a Holiday...
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to CXM_Splicer
said by CXM_Splicer:

quote:
So? Jobs are a bit scarce these days. Would these people prefer to be unemployed?

Sorry but being subjected to abuse as opposed to being fired is not a valid choice. People deserve to have a livable work environment.

Absolutely. America needs a stronger labor law, something most of Canada has. Walmart didn't last very long in Quebec.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pnh102
For years the Unions have been harassing Walmart preventing them form building new stores,like my neighborhood. This has nothing to do with welfare of workers just trying to get more warm bodies too line the union 's pockets. Yes they Walmart workers could walk off and join the former Hostess Workers in the Unemployment line.

Let there unions pansies work as a contractor as I do, A day off like today means I do not get paid.

DataRiker
Premium
said by Scatcatpdx:

For years the Unions have been harassing Walmart preventing them form building new stores

Nobody harasses Walmart, that is an absolute absurdity.

I take it you prefer taxes to pay Walmart workers wages instead of Walmart paying a livable wage.

There is nothing wrong with workers organizing, it is an essentially part to any free market.

And I gladly pay my union dues, as its the better of two evils. Much better.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Kommie
Pulling out of this discussion.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DataRiker
Oh yea where when you in Portland Oregon when union assisted in organized a not in my Back Yard campaign to block Beaverton, Cedar Mills and Baseline Road proposed locations. Where were you during the Fred Myer strike when I had to walk past Union pickets at Non union and employee owned Winco stores. Don't tell me what I did not see with my own eyes.
?? "take it you prefer taxes to pay Walmart workers wages instead of Walmart paying a livable wage."
I smell a red herring fallacy a mile way
Expand your moderator at work

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to DataRiker

said by DataRiker:

Absolutely. America needs a stronger labor law ...

China agrees with you too.
--

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

2 edits
reply to pnh102

Pulling out of this discussion. Enough said.

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
reply to pnh102

Some people think I am blessed, because I only work 13.5 hours on 3 days on weekend nights and then get 4 days off. They don't understand working nights for long hours is hard and when you take those days off you don't get those days full because you're used to sleep in late. I start before midnight and end at noon, so the earliest hours I feel ready to go is 7am. Yes, sometimes I can adjust and get up earlier but not often. I would rather work 5 days a week and get 2 days off on weekend.

My vacation days are adjusted from 2 weeks to 1 week for this schedule. I think its the same everywhere.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

reply to CXM_Splicer
said by CXM_Splicer:

said by pnh102:

In case you missed it, that is exactly what Kommie was doing... picketing the shoppers via a virtual picket line. Count me in

Well I just got done screwing the country. We crossed the virtual picket line and did all our Christmas shopping online.
--

DataRiker
Premium

4 edits
reply to Anon
said by pnh102:

You speak as if Walmart alone is responsible for this. How is it Walmart's fault that government-provided benefits are more generous than their benefits, and why is it Walmart's fault that these people choose on their own volition to get the "cheaper" option provided by the state?

I'm talking about food stamps. Since Walmart essentially only hires part time, and with their computer based predicted needs scheduling these people can not obtain a second job as they could before ( being on what appears to be a random schedule )

Thus these people are forced to get food stamps to put food on the table.

Its just logic.

As for who is responsible, at this point it really doesn't matter (IMHO Corporate America ). It's like people have lost all compassion for the poor and uneducated.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
reply to Kommie
"I wouldn't call Soldiers "Workers""

Please enlighten us as to what you would call Soldiers (or any other military person)?

I guess changing out a jet engine, fueling air craft, maintaining vehicles is just recreation, right?

In which branch did you serve and for how long?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to DataRiker
said by DataRiker:

I'm talking about food stamps. Since Walmart essentially only hires part time, and with their computer based predicted needs scheduling these people can not obtain a second job as they could before ( being on what appears to be a random schedule )

I think this is a big reason why retail has high churn. People working in it find out they will never ever have the same schedule.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Kommie
Premium
united state
reply to Austinloop
Soldiers are Soldiers and I am PROUD to say I didn't serve in any branch.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

Why am I not surprised?

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to Austinloop
Not only that but many of our soldiers are still being shot at as I type this in a certain Middle Eastern hellhole that will go unmentioned.

But no, when it comes to their holidays we must honor them or God help us. But they don't honor ours. Bullshit I tell you, bullshit.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

1 recommendation

reply to Kommie

Soldiers used to be soldiers when they actually fought to protect the country and our freedom. Now, they are a private group of mercenaries doing the bidding of an imperialistic government.

My brother was duped into joining the Army and did 2 1/2 tours in Dessert Storm (was not allowed to leave at the end of his 2nd tour)... all he has to show for it now is Gulf War sickness.