how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@bhn.net

Facebook - Users No Longer Have A Say In Its Privacy Rules

From The Inquirer - Nov 22 2012:

Facebook announced today that it will no longer let users have a say in its privacy policies.

Facebook revealed on Thursday that it will reverse its 2009 policy that let users vote on its privacy rules, blaming the move on the low quality of the comments that it often received.

The news hasn't gone down well with Facebook users, who ironically have taken to the social network to voice their rage and dissatisfaction.

Facebook shutting down its privacy rules voting system isn't all that its users have got to be angry about. The social network also announced that it will share user data with the hipster photo sharing app Instagram and will loosen restrictions on emails between Facebook members.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

5 recommendations

All I can say is, there is life without Facebook.

Users who "voice their rage and dissatisfaction" but stay anyway deserve what they get.

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium
join:2004-03-06
EU
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to FF4m3

"Facebook announced today that it will no longer let users have a say in its privacy policies."
Hm... Have Facebook users ever had a say in their privacy matters?

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

5 recommendations

reply to FF4m3

The more I hear about Facebook, the happier I am that I've never had an account. There's just too much other stuff that is truly part of my day that I need to concern myself with.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4
reply to goalieskates

said by goalieskates:
All I can say is, there is life without Facebook.

Users who "voice their rage and dissatisfaction" but stay anyway deserve what they get.

+1
--
»bit.ly/gUqYaH - C. Brian Smith: Think of the exclamation point as a car horn: a little goes a long way. Lay on it too hard and everyone’s going to think you’re a moron.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to FF4m3

It's a good idea to state ALL information, instead of just the part that sounds like omg-the-world-is-ending.

.....Facebook wants to end the voting component of the process in favor of a system that leads to “more meaningful feedback and engagement”, the company’s vice president of communications, public policy and marketing Elliot Schrage wrote in a company blog post.

We will continue to post significant changes to our Data Use Policy and SRR and provide a seven-day period for review and comment. As always, we will carefully consider your feedback before adopting any changes,; Schrage explained. “We will also provide additional notification mechanisms, including email, for informing you of those changes. In the coming weeks, we will roll out new ways of responding to your questions and comments about Facebook.

The Data Use Policy also includes updates that provide more descriptions about Facebook’s practices and reflect changes to their products.....

»www.eweek.com/security/facebook-···olicies/
--
The Alien in the White House

19,994 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay

quote:
The more I hear about Facebook, the happier I am that I've never had an account.
I hear ya bud!!!!

Today someone sent me an email saying HAPPY THANKSGIVING and some of the email addresses they had CCed in were on FACEBOOK!! (sheeple@facebook.com for example) and someone replied to HIS EMAIL resulting in everyone in that CCed list getting an email!!!!

I DONT LIKE THAT AT ALL.........I DONT WANT MY EMAIL ADDRESS BEING EMAILED FROM ANY1 ON FACEBOOK!! (Do not want it associated with anyone from there)

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to FF4m3

Re: Facebook - Users No Longer Have A Say In Its Privacy Rules

Facebook Reportedly Moves to Phase Out User Voting on Privacy Changes

quote:
Citizens! Did the election earlier this month get you all psyched about voting? Are you ready to go out and vote for all the things? Well, too bad, because according to TechCrunch Facebook wants to do away with users’ option of voting on proposed changes to the site’s privacy policy.
Article

--
Donne-moi des peanuts, j’m’en va te chanter "Alouette" sans fausse note

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to FF4m3

You can read the real beast: "SSR" ostensibly would be Statement of Rights and Responsibilities:
»www.facebook.com/legal/proposedSRR

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to FF4m3

FUD Alert! Bull-ony.

This incorrect. How about checking things out before posting.

From and email I received from Facebook:

quote:
We recently announced some proposed updates to our Data Use Policy, which explains how we collect and use data when people use Facebook, and our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities (SRR), which explains the terms governing use of our services.

The updates provide you with more detailed information about our practices and reflect changes to our products, including:

New tools for managing your Facebook Messages;Changes to how we refer to certain products;Tips on managing your timeline; andReminders about what's visible to other people on Facebook.

We are also proposing changes to our site governance process for future updates to our Data Use Policy and SRR. We deeply value the feedback we receive from you during our comment period but have found that the voting mechanism created a system that incentivized quantity of comments over the quality of them. So, we are proposing to end the voting component in order to promote a more meaningful environment for feedback. We also plan to roll out new engagement channels, including a feature for submitting questions about privacy to our Chief Privacy Officer of Policy.

We encourage you to review these proposed changes and give us feedback before we finalize them. Please visit the "Documents" tab of the Facebook Site Governance Page »www.facebook.com/fbsitegovernance to learn more about these changes and to submit comments before 9 AM PST on November 28, 2012.

You can also follow and like the Site Governance Page for updates on this process and on any future changes to our Data Use Policy or SRR.

Tips:

Your timeline: You have settings that help you design how your timeline will appear to others, like hiding things from your timeline. Remember that this only impacts whether those things are visible on your timeline. Those posts are still visible elsewhere, like in news feed, on other people's timelines, or in search results. You can delete your own posts from your timeline or activity log, or ask someone else to delete a post you're tagged in.Cookies info: Technologies like cookies, pixels, and local storage are used to deliver, secure, and understand products, services, and ads, on and off Facebook. Learn more about how we and our partners use cookies and similar technologies.

Thanks,
The Facebook Team
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

There is no privacy on social media.

If you post stupid things that attached to your name, expect people to read it.

I don't understand and never will understand this entire privacy thing on someone else's service.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay

said by jaykaykay:

The more I hear about Facebook, the happier I am that I've never had an account. There's just too much other stuff that is truly part of my day that I need to concern myself with.

Amen sister amen.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to Mike

Devils Advocate....

So you'd be ok with your bank selling your information to marketers and you suddenly start receiving "odd" magazines from your debit/credit card activity. That could be Parenting/Baby mags to "Adult" mags.

I would assume you would have that expectation of privacy, despite it "being someone else's service" to wit, your bank's

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Entirely different.

Banking is not public domain.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

said by Mike:

Entirely different.

Banking is not public domain.

It isn't? And even if it is, why would that be "entirely different"? Your bank can sell your information whether public or private domain. You are saying banks do Domains by Proxy? Even if they did what does that have to do with banks selling your information?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

It's optional. I can't go to a public site and look up banking statements.

I can go to Facebook and look up whatever someone posts and info processed will be at your discretion and to whatever permissions you have it set to display per role. If you post something yourself you are giving that info to whoever owns that cloud service.

Banks already sell your shopping habits based on zip code. Don't like it? Do t join.

If you post something on the cloud (Facebook, Dropbox, aws based stuff, google) expect it to be harvested and crawled.

I'm not defending the practice but people aren't complete innocent victims.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to FF4m3

Yea - gotta love the FUD (for now) of the OP... Lovely biased posting in its finest.

I really do not worry about their policies - I VERY rarely Like anything but friends news, don't play the games, don't do anything with apps, and severely limit my information I add into my profile. My profile is not searchable as well.

Don't give them the information - and FB can't use it.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

I convinced my GF to ditch Facebook and am now Facebook free!!

It's blocked in the hosts file on her machine now too.

good riddance rat infested sheep site

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Yorba Linda, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Today someone sent me an email saying HAPPY THANKSGIVING and some of the email addresses they had CCed in were on FACEBOOK!! (sheeple@facebook.com for example) and someone replied to HIS EMAIL resulting in everyone in that CCed list getting an email!!!!

The problem is not with Facebook, but that you have friends who don't know how to use email.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

2 recommendations

said by Steve:

said by Dude111:

The problem is not with Facebook, but that you have friends who don't know how to use email.

But that is 98% of all users since most are sheeple and refuse to learn anything...even how to properly protect others privacy when sending email. I had to stop communicating by email with most friends/family because they refuse to learn how to use blind CC. Surely you recall jaykaykay See Profile eloquent posts on this issue in past years as jaykaykay struggled to get friends to use blind CC).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Yorba Linda, CA

3 recommendations

Yep. The problem above is that the Dude has mischaracterized the threat (claiming it's a Facebook issue), which makes him less safe because he's not addressing the real issue.

armed

join:2000-10-20
Reviews:
·Charter

2 recommendations

said by Steve:

Yep. The problem above is that the Dude has mischaracterized the threat (claiming it's a Facebook issue), which makes him less safe because he's not addressing the real issue.

Sometimes I think a more appropriate name for this particular forum is "Security Misinformation". Between the paranoids and the ax grinders there is a lot of crap on here.

I use to come for the learning experience. Now I come for the entertainment.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Steve

said by Steve:

And yet if I'm a betting person, those people who don't know how to use email definitely use Facebook. That's exactly who it's designed for, after all. Heh.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

I can go to Facebook and look up whatever someone posts

You can't look up what I post to Facebook that is designated "friends only" though.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

If you disable public search, this is key, and set your account settings to custom,
no one can find you via a seach engine assuming you don't respond to those with Publicly set accounts.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

I don't mind being found; but I do limit who can see what I post.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

I'm indexed enough as it is, so, that's off as well as much other data collection stuff. For those more seasoned with Facebook privacy settings, you can limit many things, as you wish.

Much of what I bring to you here, is shared with security community folks on Facebook. Not that it's for everyone. ¯\_()_/¯

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Re:  

Somebody used "Cc:" instead of "Bcc:"? And if it were a Google Mail user, or a Yahoo! Mail user, you'd be okay with that? Doesn't appear to me to be a Facebook issue. Tell your stupid correspondents to either use the "Bcc:" function, or don't bother sending it.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

FF4m3

@bhn.net
reply to jaykaykay

said by jaykaykay:

The more I hear about Facebook, the happier I am that I've never had an account.

+1

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

Re:  

said by Mele20:

I had to stop communicating by email with most friends/family because they refuse to learn how to use blind CC. Surely you recall jaykaykay See Profile eloquent posts on this issue in past years as jaykaykay struggled to get friends to use blind CC).

I to have just given up on various friends regarding the use of the BCC instead of the CC or forwarding a CC email they got. The strange thing over time I see no correlation between the person's intelligence and responsibility level with regards to whether or not they master the use of or ever understand BCC. Weird.