spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

not

@comcast.net

MacBook Pro 13 (Latest 2012 Version) Sleep Issues

Has anyone else noticed that ever since the most recent MacBook Pro and MacBook Air Update 2.0 that whenever the laptop is in sleep mode and closed, it wakes up whenever you plug or unplug the charger from it? It never did this before that update. Why was this changed? Now it wakes up for about 30 seconds, primes/ejects the DVDROM drive, etc. whenever you unplug the charger from it. That's just stupid.

not

@comcast.net

Over 100 views and nothing.... I guess I'm the only one that's noticed this buggy behavior after this update was applied, on more than one system I might add.

Here's more weirdness. When the laptop's plugged into power for an extended period (over night) of time and closed, it goes into a deep hibernation type sleep. (That's what's causing the DVDROM drive to prime/eject when unplugged from power.) When the laptop is just left closed and sleeping over night, it stays in normal sleep, never goes into hibernation. That's definitely not right.

What's worse is that if you look at the Power settings in System Report, it blatantly states "No" next to Wake on AC Charge for both Battery and AC power profiles/configs.

wellconnectd

@sbcglobal.net

Just tried to replicate this same "issue" on my MBP 13-inch late 2012.

I disconnect the power cord. I put it in sleep. It went to sleep. I closed the lid. It stays asleep. I plugged in the power cord. It stays asleep. I unplug the power cord. It stays asleep.

Finally, I open it up, and it wakes up. This is normal (and correct) behavior.

Thoughts?

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to not

You could try resetting SMC:

»support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?view···le=en_US
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

not

@comcast.net
reply to wellconnectd

said by wellconnectd :

Just tried to replicate this same "issue" on my MBP 13-inch late 2012.

I disconnect the power cord. I put it in sleep. It went to sleep. I closed the lid. It stays asleep. I plugged in the power cord. It stays asleep. I unplug the power cord. It stays asleep.

Finally, I open it up, and it wakes up. This is normal (and correct) behavior.

Thoughts?

That's not how this works. Leave it plugged in and close the screen. Wait for it to go to sleep. Then unplug it from power. It'll wake up for 10-15 seconds and go back to sleep (yes, with the screen closed). Once it's asleep, plug it back in and it'll wake up again and go to sleep.

Others are having the same issue since the update I mentioned in the OP was installed on their systems. Apple pulled that plug within 48 hours of release because of bugs in it. Unfortunately, those of us to installed it when it got released, now have this issue to deal with that Apple engineering is scratching their heads on.

As for the SMC and PRAM resets... ya, already did those first. Thanks anyway.

colbond

join:2012-12-02
Broomfield, CO

My 15" 2012 doesn't have this issue. As posted above I'd reset the SMC. If you've got time, try doing the same thing while booted to an external drive or the recovery partition (hold cmd-R while booting) and try it there. If it doesn't happen in a different OS, then you have a software problem.

not

@comcast.net

I know it's software. I said in the OP that this behavior started once the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air Update 2.0 was installed on 11/9. I'm wanting to hear if anyone else has this update installed and is experiencing the same issues.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to not

I can't replicate that on my MacBook Air (2011) -- however:

Can you post your activity monitor? I do recall an issue that was being caused by a piece of software (non-Apple). I want to say it was a virus/malware software, VirusBarrier X6? Can't recall, but sleep issues was part of it.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

not

@comcast.net

It's not 3rd party software guys. It was the update that Apple released and then pulled a couple of weeks ago. I listed in the OP what the update was called. (Update 2.0)

It was the same update that botched the Keychain for a log of people. They've since pulled it and issued a Keychain patch that they called Supplemental Update. However, this fix didn't fix the sleep issues at all.

The exact problem is that the system sleep fine, but it momentarily comes out of sleep when plugged or unplugged from power. This should not be happening.

Anyway, a reload of the OS fixes this issue, but I'm still dealing with Apple engineering for them to fix this on their end because it is a problem they're refusing to acknowledge.

Anyone with OS build (12C3006) is probably experiencing this same sleep problem and they may not have even noticed it because unless you're staring at the sleep indicator LED on the front of the system (Air don't have it) and listening closely to the fan kick on, you wouldn't even notice it. This is probably why most people haven't reported it yet.

not

@comcast.net

An update to this.

Apple seems to have rereleased the DL1609 patch again (without changing the published date to hide their mistakes) which actually is another build. The OS build changes to (12C3012) when installed but even this new patch doesn't fix the sleep issues described in this thread. Leaving the 10.8.2 OS at the original build is the only way to keep sleep issues from appearing. This is on a plain OS install or one with personal data/programs on it. It's the patch that's causing this sleep behavior change and nothing else.

I'm actually surprised a lot more people don't pay closer attention to their sleep LED or the sound of their fans kicking on to see that the sleep behavior changed with this new update. Considering that it's been the first way for years, I don't think Apple did this on purpose. I think it's a byproduct of the way they're handling sleep on the newer SSD based units and simply not writing the proper code to handle multiple types of systems if they're going to push out one update to cover multiple models. Bad move on Apple, let's see if they fix it.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to not

If the power state changes and it briefly wakes and then goes back to sleep, is this an issue other than you don't like it doing it? I'm not seeing it on my 2012 MBP 13" BTW, doing the exact scenario you describe. I probably wouldn't care if it did do it, if it did.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

not

@comcast.net

said by JohnInSJ:

If the power state changes and it briefly wakes and then goes back to sleep, is this an issue other than you don't like it doing it? I'm not seeing it on my 2012 MBP 13" BTW, doing the exact scenario you describe. I probably wouldn't care if it did do it, if it did.

Yes, it's a dislike, but on top of that, it's a broken function that's never been like this before. The fact remains that the laptop doesn't need to momentarily wake up whenever you change it's power state. It's like saying that your car would need to start up every time you lock or unlock it for a few seconds. There's no need for it.

On top of that, there is a technical reason against it as well. If you unplug from power and the system wakes up and spins up the hard drive, you moving it during that time to throw it in your bag or whatever now makes it susceptible to possible damage from shock. There's just no valid reason for it. NO OTHER LAPTOP IN THE WORLD DOES THIS.

Again, I would be interested to know if your build of OS X is 10.8.2 build 12C3006. If it isn't, then you wouldn't see this. What's your build?

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

was on 12c60. It's updating again now.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

said by JohnInSJ:

was on 12c60. It's updating again now.

Now 12c3012, so maybe that will be your fix?
--

not

@comcast.net

Ya, on 12C60, you won't see this problem. I actually have two systems that are identical in terms of hardware and one of them was still on the screwed up build of 12C3006 and then I applied 12C3012 to it and it's still messed up, so I didn't want to waste my time updating my current one (which is on 12C60 and working fine) to 12C3012 and have it screw up again because I don't want to sit through an OS reinstall again. (This downloading the OS from the web crap that Apple is doing with Mountain Lion restore is BS.) I'm thinking the re-released 12C3012 is the same as the 12C3006 build but with the builtin fix for the Keychain they broke in that first release of it.

not

@comcast.net
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

Now 12c3012, so maybe that will be your fix?

Go ahead and retest it again under this new build please.

1) Connect power to laptop.
2) Close the clamshell to put into sleep and wait for the front LED to flash slowly indicating sleep.
3) Leave clamshell closed (DO NOT OPEN THE LAPTOP AT ALL.)
4) Unplug from power and watch the front LED indicator and see if it goes solid for a few seconds 10-15 and feel/listen for the CPU fan to kick in on the back. (Unplug power = disconnect Magsafe plug from laptop, NOT unplugging the charger from the wall while leaving Magsafe connected to laptop.)
5) Regardless of findings of #4 step, wait for system to go back into sleep and verify sleep by observing front LED in a slow flash.
6) Plug power back in and observe as in #4 step.

Report findings.

Thanks

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to not

yep, it wakes when you disconnect power on that version
--

not

@comcast.net

See, that's what I'm talking about. It's not normal. It shouldn't be happening. Here's another thread on Apple's own forums that shows people having it too. »discussions.apple.com/message/20···20539271

What I think is happening is that the issue is a pretty unnoticeable one and that's why more people aren't aware that they actually have it. I pay pretty close attention to the behavior of things and when I notice a change, even a minute one, I pick up on it.

Honestly, I urge you to report this to Apple if you have a current Apple Care plan. If not, file it on their feedback website for the MacBook Pro. The more people notice this behavior and report it, the greater chance we have to get them to fix it.

Thanks

Expand your moderator at work

mark2

@hispeed.ch
reply to not

Re: MacBook Pro 13 (Latest 2012 Version) Sleep Issues

I have the same issue with my MacBook Pro 15'' running OS X 10.8.2 (12C3006). It also started behaving like this after a OS update. (But I think there has been another update in the meantime which did not fix the issue.)

not

@comcast.net

said by mark2 :

I have the same issue with my MacBook Pro 15'' running OS X 10.8.2 (12C3006). It also started behaving like this after a OS update. (But I think there has been another update in the meantime which did not fix the issue.)

Yes, they released a subsequent update to fix the Keychain issues that particular update also caused and then they've rereleased this DL1609 update to take that patch into affect. Unfortunately, they haven't noticed this particular issue. I'm working with the loser Apple engineers to admit to this problem and actually fix it. It's been nothing but hand holding I tell ya. I may need to get the crayons out for this one.

not

@comcast.net
reply to mark2

Oh yeah, if you don't mind, please call Apple support and tell them about the issue (open a case with them if you still have warranty or Apple Care on your system.)

Even if you do not, maybe call them and tell them you've developed this issue since the last update. If it's something that they've caused, they shouldn't be charging you to talk to someone. Reference this thread if you need to and the others on Apple's forums about this same issue.

Thanks in advance!

wayouteast

@bellaliant.net
reply to mark2

Same problem here: brand new MBP 13" running 10.8.2 (12C2034). Software Updates says there are no updates available.

The wake on power removal is odd, but more annoying is that mine then goes into hibernate mode (I'm guessing... power light stays off and I have to press power button to wake) and then I'm forced to enter my password twice to sign back in!

(I'm presuming that the first entry is to unlock the encryption key that was purged from memory, based on the visual feedback, but I don't see why I should have to enter it twice, when I wouldn't have to from a cold boot.)

Somethin' weird is going on... I'm somewhat comforted that I'm not alone, though. Crazy that it's on DSL Reports that I found this info, not on an Apple site, though!

not

@comcast.net

said by wayouteast :

Same problem here: brand new MBP 13" running 10.8.2 (12C2034). Software Updates says there are no updates available.

The wake on power removal is odd, but more annoying is that mine then goes into hibernate mode (I'm guessing... power light stays off and I have to press power button to wake) and then I'm forced to enter my password twice to sign back in!

(I'm presuming that the first entry is to unlock the encryption key that was purged from memory, based on the visual feedback, but I don't see why I should have to enter it twice, when I wouldn't have to from a cold boot.)

Somethin' weird is going on... I'm somewhat comforted that I'm not alone, though. Crazy that it's on DSL Reports that I found this info, not on an Apple site, though!

Not crazy at all. I actually have found several entries on Apple's forums and not a single person has done anything about it in terms of calling Apple up and getting more info. (Took me several weeks to get to where I am at with this by now). Honestly, I just didn't want to sign up for another account on Apple's forums (mostly due to the fact that I can't change my username once I create one) just to answer the questions. Here I can just post. I'm glad you found this thread though.

I however have good and bad news. Turns out this is expected behavior in terms of what's support to happen now for the first half of this issue (i.e. the waking up from sleep whenever you plug or unplug power from the laptop). Seems this is a change Apple had to put in to meet some kind of European Power Conservation standard. Ya, whatever... I'm not buying that one, not without some more details explaining the technical aspects of it. It just doesn't make sense to wake a system up like that. How is that more power efficient than letting it sleep though that plug and unplug process.

As for the additional hibernation that it goes into when plugged into power and left asleep for more than an hour like that, that doesn't make sense either and seems reversed. Why enter hibernation to same more power when you're plugged into power but not do it when you're on battery to actually save battery?

Anyway, both of these additional questions have gone back to engineering to get answers for. Lets see what I get back.

I will say this... if you have Apple Care on your system, please call into them and voice your concern for this. It doesn't seem correct in behavior and unless I get some really logical/technical explanation back as to why it does this to conform with that EU guideline, I'm not buying it. Seems too much like the usual type of response Apple gives when something doesn't work right. It's either we're doing it wrong or they're doing it right because of some guideline they're following, but it's never a mistake on their part.

I've lost count how many times Apple has made mistakes and not fessed up to what the root causes were. It's always been up to the public to find out themselves. Case in point, this week's DND issue on the iPhone. The detailed answer was discovered and provided to the public by someone other than Apple.

reply to not

I have this problem too! I've been looking around for someone else to mention the same issue.

This bug is particularly bothersome because my laptop goes into deep sleep while plugged in. When I open it in the morning, I have to wait for my session to restore from the hard disk, which takes a good 1-2 minutes. This didn't always happen.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
reply to not

Does anyone even bother to register for this site anymore?

not

@comcast.net
reply to macbooksleep

said by macbooksleep :

I have this problem too! I've been looking around for someone else to mention the same issue.

This bug is particularly bothersome because my laptop goes into deep sleep while plugged in. When I open it in the morning, I have to wait for my session to restore from the hard disk, which takes a good 1-2 minutes. This didn't always happen.

Please call Apple. Call them on the 800 AppleCare number. They blatantly said that they've had almost no calls on this. Until you notice it and complain about it, it won't get addressed.

I'm still waiting to hear back on the secondary issue of the deep sleep/hibernation that happens when it's plugged in. I should know something this week hopefully.

MajorHavoc

@sbcglobal.net

I too have seen this problem and just started searching for others seeing it as well. I do not have Apple Care, but my machine is less than 1 year old. Technical Support is expired but they still list repair as active. So my question is if I call Apple Care and complain, they are they just going to tell me to take it to the genius bar, where they will not be able to make it happen (because it will not be plugged in long enough or I had to unplug to take it there which changes the state) so they will just say it is normal or they cannot see it. Been through that WAY too many times. What procedure do you actually suggest?