how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jackorama

join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

1 edit

[Vista] Can't get IE9 to load any websites since MS updates.

Hi, need some help. After my mother did the recent MS security updates, she hasn't been able to get to any websites using IE9 on her laptop, Vista OS.

What happen is we open IE9 and her home page comes up, www.google.ca. If she types into the search she gets the google search page with the searches. She then clicks on a search item and it looks as if it is trying to load the page. Also happens if she clicks on a link in her favorites. The page never loads, just is stuck trying to load and stays on the search page or the home page if she is trying the links in her favorites. We left it for awhile and it never timed out. You can't click on anything else in the browser except the red x to close the window when it is doing this, which we had to do when nothing would load. Her email works, she can receive and send emails. She can't load a link in the email.

I checked and all her MS security updates were successful.

What else can we try?

I would like to put a secondary browser like Chrome or Firefox on her laptop for when problems rise with IE9 and it doesn't work. Can I put one of these on a memory stick (flash drive) to install on her laptop? If so, where would I get the download to put on a stick to be installed on another computer?

Security used is MSE, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (free,on demand), SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition (on demand), SpywareBlaster and WOT. No indication of malware or viruses.

For a senior, she has a very good grasp of safe online computing and at 50 she studied C++ (passed top of her class).

She gets lost for words now and I hope to accomplish this with her over the phone but may need to wait until I see her in a week or so.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jackorama

PS: Just wanted to mention that my fathers computer, Windows XP using IE8 has no problems accessing websites. His is hardwired to the modem and her's is wireless.

--
"Whenever they invent something that's moron proof, someone comes by and invents a better moron."

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do."

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

If this just started after doing updates, I would uninstall the updates, then reinstall them one at a time, checking to see if the problem reoccurs after each update install. Maybe you can narrow it down to a specific update that way.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to Jackorama

Another thing you should tell her is to never let Windows Update re-start the computer itself, especially laptops. A lot of times Windows is still finishing up things in the background and the automatic restart aborts and corrupts part of the process. Just close Windows update after you scan and install the updates you want and then restart it yourself after the hard disk indicator slows down.

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18
reply to Jackorama

Try temporarily disabling third party browser extensions and see if it makes any difference:

IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > remove the checkmark in front of "Enable third party browser extensions" > OK then restart IE.

If that does not help you can re-enable third party browser extensions.

If it does help, you would have to track down the third party browser extension causing the problem.

Also, if disabling third party browser extensions does not help try restarting the computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and see if the same issue exists.

johnpd
Premium
join:2003-11-20
Green Valley, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Jackorama

One of the "important" updates included last week with Vista systems that have nVidia video cards was new video drivers. Normally video driver updates are "optional". Why this was an "important" update I am not sure, but it crashed a number of computers. If your mother has an nVideo video card on her system, that could be the source of her problem.

JohnD

Jackorama

Kingston, ON

1 recommendation

reply to La Luna

said by La Luna:

If this just started after doing updates, I would uninstall the updates, then reinstall them one at a time, checking to see if the problem reoccurs after each update install. Maybe you can narrow it down to a specific update that way.

Thanks La Luna.

I think this is what I will have her try first. After checking around online I found some others who were having problems with ms update KB2761451 messing up IE9 on Vista. I think the easiest way would have her do a system restore to just before the updates, download and install minus KB2761451 update. Check IE9 and if it is good download & install the KB2761451. If it works, then we have solved the problem, if not we'll take the update off and look for another solution.

Jackorama
--
"Whenever they invent something that's moron proof, someone comes by and invents a better moron."

Jackorama

Kingston, ON
reply to SipSizzurp

Thanks SipSizzurp.

When I read your post, I remembered that after the ms updates install there is a timer that counts down and restarts the computer. I thought it was strange because mine, win7, waits for me to tell it to restart. We were also having problems with ms automatically downloading & installing in the background. I have reset it to notify when downloads are available, but every so often it reverts back.
--

Jackorama

Kingston, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Jackorama

Thanks everyone.

I will look into all the suggestions. I will report back on if we got it to work or not.

Thanks again.

Jackorama

Jackorama

Kingston, ON
reply to Jackorama

Update:

I did a system restore to just before Nov. ms updates. IE9 worked, but was very slow. Installed the updates except the one for IE9. Started IE9 without any add-ons, the speed really increased and pages loaded with no problems. So, it is something to do with the add-ons.

For now I have put a couple of browsers on that she can use, until I find out which add-ons are the problem and do the IE9 ms update when I see her next week.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Jackorama
--