uniqs
share rss forum feed

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21

How do you price/sell art?

I've been tasked with selling some art. So far I know they are wood block prints by Okuyama Gihachiro. I have no clue on the date. Is ebay the way to go for relatively cheap stuff like this? Looking around on ebay, I see a few similar prints, but what accounts for the price differences between these auctions? The iconography, the frame (on the expensive one), or maybe just chance?

»www.ebay.com/itm/MID-CENTURY-PAI···75.l2557
»www.ebay.com/itm/japanese-woodbl···75.l2557
»www.ebay.com/itm/Mid-Century-Gih···75.l2557

Here's the prints themselves. I haven't been able to find the same ones online anywhere.

--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA

1 recommendation

One of your prints can be found here, although you'll have to register to find out the selling price »www.artfact.com/auction-lot/okuy···wxju54r0
--
Out the 10BaseT, through the modem, down the co-ax, over the fiber, across the backhaul, past the edge router, off the network...nothing but net

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA
reply to Weirdal

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to Weirdal

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to Weirdal

harald

join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH
kudos:2
reply to Weirdal
There is a guy,

Dr Ross F. Walker

A PhD. in the computer world, he is at a Japanese university and is well known as a Japanese print collector. He might be willing to give you advice as to marketing.

They probably need to be in a gallery in a major city such as NY or San Francisco. Your net after commission likely will be higher than you will get selling them directly.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Weirdal
A guy at work cleaned out foreclosed homes for banks as a side job a couple of years before the crash. He found a painting that when he did a bit of research might be worth some money. He went to out art institute to get an idea of value. The approx value was up to $20K I believe.

The guy at the art institute then did not seem to do much to get it sold at auction but he know who the art guy contacted to sell the painting. The co-worker then contacted the guy who was going to auction it and got the piece auctioned in NY for just over $10K. A bit goes to the auction house and to get person who arranged the piece to go to auction. He made a few grand ($6-7K if I remember correctly).
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
reply to Weirdal
This gallery buys and has examples of his prints:
»www.hanga.com/viewimage.cfm?ID=3460

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
reply to Weirdal
Looks like some buy-it-nows are listed on ebay at 50-75 and nobody is biting. I guess the best I can hope for is to sell them all together and get $100 or so?

I'll probably wait and see what this one goes for:
»www.ebay.com/itm/8-vintage-1960s···1f4a35b0
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
If you do put it on eBay, please post the link

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to Weirdal