uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kaddock

join:2012-11-22
Portland, OR
reply to Kaddock

Re: [Connectivity] MAC Address Scam?

Wow! What a flurry of answers. Thanks! OK, let me clarify here -

I never stated I can't get a refund - I purchased the item off of Amazon and have contacted Amazon and the seller. It's a holiday in the states, so I don't expect a response until at least regular business hours tomorrow. We'll see what they say.

Here is my argument - I understand that it would be easy to rip the labels off of a Comcast modem and find a box for it. The issue here is that I also have an official Motorola document which has a label / certificate which is identical to the label on the modem showing serial numbers and mac addresses. It would take an extremely good fake to create a label of authenticity like this one, and frankly, there's another obvious point - you don't receive authentic documentation with a Comcast modem. They just drop it off with their sticker on it. If this was stolen, it would have no documentation linking to it as an original purchase. I don't buy it.

I've been reading into this, and have found several articles of info on the internet which imply that people are sniffing mac addresses and somehow using them and screwing people. Is this faulty info? I'm confused as to how this would work, since it is burnt into the ROM of my device. Whatever the case may be, I've read that others have had this problem, and had Comcast confiscate their devices. I'm not letting them touch mine without some proof.

Thoughts? I'll be hitting the Comcast store tomorrow to bring my authentic documentation to their attention. If they won't remove it from their blacklist, I guess I'll go from there...

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

Generally it's pretty easy.

All you do is open the modem and then attatch either a usb jtag device or connect straight to a parallel ports with a few resistors and dump the nonvol.

Wait until a person subscribes to Internet, then you load that nonvol onto another identical modem, and you have a clone.

However, this is stupid, since Comcast already has implemented clone detection since forever ago.

(1 year at least)

Hence you may have got that call.

If it's not directly from amazon, or prime labeled, I don't like buying anything from them.
Amazon/prime sellers are too epin, 1 day replacements, free shipping and free returns.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:1
reply to Kaddock

Well, as you already know or know now, Amazon is a storefront operation that handles sales for other merchants.

I have bought several DSL modems via Amazon in the past, all claimed to be new in box. But they weren't. They were refurbished and re-boxed in non-retail OEM white-box packaging.

How do I know they weren't new and previously used? Easy. They were not reset to factory defaults and contained the previous owner's ISP PPPoE login credentials. Otherwise they were perfect, not a scratch on them which leads me to think the cases were replaced with new ones.

This is probably what you have, a previously owned refurbished modem that Comcast has decided to blacklist for some reason. They do not just invent MAC addresses to blacklist - they can't even begin to know a specific MAC address until it is provided to them by someone trying to use the device on their service. Another possibility is they made a typo when they blacklisted another MAC and yours got entered instead.

You are certainly entitled to a refund from the merchant. But you may never get an explanation as to exactly why your modem was blacklisted.

Good luck.

Kaddock

Portland, OR
reply to Kaddock

Hello Everyone -

Problem solved. Comcast is completely full of it... The seller sent both them and I a copy of his best buy receipt, and I went into the Comcast store to verify that all was good. The tech at the counter told me that Comcast does not even use this specific Motorola modem, and he didn't see it in the system.

I have no answers, but I have a success story.

As long as I have your assistance - does anyone know of a really good setup guide for the router settings on Motorola SBG6580? I am having a heck of a time forwarding ports through this router. It was sooo easy on my last one. I wouldn't mind a for-dummies walk-through on the firewall, forwarding section, etc.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by Kaddock:

As long as I have your assistance - does anyone know of a really good setup guide for the router settings on Motorola SBG6580? I am having a heck of a time forwarding ports through this router. It was sooo easy on my last one. I wouldn't mind a for-dummies walk-through on the firewall, forwarding section, etc.

I can't guarantee how good (or accurate) it is, but: »portforward.com/english/routers/···SBG6580/ might provide you with a starting point.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Kaddock

If the link I'm posting is right, it should pull up the User's Guide for your modem.

I got this by going to the page that I referenced, then clicked on the "get help" button, and selecting "user's guide" from the topic drop down.

»broadband.custhelp.com/app/answe···cyY2w%3D

If that does not work, I've "attempted" to attach the PDF to this post. Not sure if that will work or is even allowed. This is the first time that I can think of that I've "attached" anything other then an image.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Kaddock

Portland, OR
reply to NetFixer

@ NetFixer and plencnerb - Thanks for these!

@ Everyone - thanks for being very attentive. This is a great forum!