share rss forum feed

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
reply to Corehhi

Re: WIN8 on new laptop=crap

I totally agree with you. As for the others that say if you stop learning you end your existence and the like is just full of it. Computers are TOOLS. Like any TOOL you should not have to jump through a bunch of hoops to make it work for you. You should not have to Re-Learn how to use it. And lets throw the Car in here for good measure. What would happen if you bought a Car that when you turned the steering wheel to the left the car turned right. You'd take it back before or just after the accident.

Win 8 UI SUCKS!!!!!
It may be a very good OS under the hood but like a Car I don't sit under the hood.

One thing you can do is Install Win 7 on it. Windows 8 is the first MS OS that allows you to use the Win 8 license key to install an older version of Windows with it.
So that is an option.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
said by Shootist:

I totally agree with you.

getta byte, getta byte, getta byte byte byte to the rhythm of the "cavalry charge" finale of Rossini's William Tell Overture

»youtu.be/c7O91GDWGPU

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Shootist
I agree. I should not have to jump through hoops to use Win 8. Nor should I have to install Classic Shell which is a third party program..thus subject to causing all sorts of problems. The WIN 8 UI sucks. I can't even change the Windows default font from that impossible to read Segoe to Verdana except in the registry. I can't access Item list in Advanced Display either. Microsoft has violated ADA with Win 8. I could care less if Win 8 is the same on phones and other devices. I don't have a cell phone that accesses the internet and don't care about tablets either or laptops. I bought an expensive new DESKtop and I expected Microsoft to make Win 8 work properly on a desktop.

The problem with installing Win 7 is that the OEMs are giving everyone trying to downgrade a hard time. Folks are complaining at Dell forums. I am about to call Dell Small/Medium Business Employee Software Support Program for instructions on (1) how to do a clean install of Win 8. Dell has told me that Microsoft has forbidden the OEMs to supply Win 8 Reinstallation disks and I have to be walked through a "new way" to do a clean install. That sounds like hogwash to me. (2) I need instructions on how to exercise my downgrade rights. Dell forums are full of complaints that Dell is charging upwards of $100 for downgrade rights! That is crazy as my understanding of Microsoft's rules are that I am charged nothing for a Win 7 Pro disk and Win 8 Pro disk (assuming I have Win 8 Pro).

I had to stay up until 4AM my time in order to call Dell Sm/Med Business Employee Software Support Program as it is open only 8AM-5PM CST. It is now 8:04 AM in Round Rock, Texas. Wish me luck. This computer goes back to Dell if I get any guff about getting a Win 8 Pro Reinstallation disk and and Win 7 Pro one free of any charge except a nominal one for shipping.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

computerman2
Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest
Been Using Windows 8 Pro With Media Center Since Friday October 26th, Adapted Well to the NEW Start menu myself, also use Desktop mode most of the time, but otherwise I got no issues with Windows 8 Pro at all.

Under the Hood Improvements from Windows 7 to 8, are worth it, ability to mount ISO's with File Explorer, Much Improved File Transfer Dialog, Task Manager, Responsiveness of the System, Totally enjoyable experience for me personally. Then again I do have a Windows Phone as well, so was kinda used to the Modern Interface with Live Titles anyways prior to getting Windows 8 Pro

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to Shootist
said by Shootist:

One thing you can do is Install Win 7 on it. Windows 8 is the first MS OS that allows you to use the Win 8 license key to install an older version of Windows with it.

This is great!
Where did you get this from? I can't find any official reference to this.
Anybody tried it?

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
said by Brano:

said by Shootist:

This is great!
Where did you get this from? I can't find any official reference to this.
Anybody tried it?

Don't hold your breath. That is in reference to having purchased Win 8 Pro only not Win 8 Home on a new computer. You do have Microsoft downgrade rights to Win 7 Pro and the OEM must provide you with a Win 7 Pro disk at no charge according to Microsoft but the difficulty is in getting the OEM to honor these rights.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson