spc
Search similar:

uniqs
simiglen
join:2001-04-30
Simi Valley, CA

simiglen

Steering wheel shakes when brakes applied

Last week I had some extra weight in my car that I usually don't have. It was in the neighborhood of 400 pounds.

When I applied the brakes the steering wheel would shake. What would cause this?

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

Hall

MVM

400 pounds should make no difference unless you drive a "smart". I wouldn't presume that this is related.

Shaking through the steering wheel when brakes are applied is typically warped rotors.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to simiglen

Premium Member

to simiglen
Weight does not matter, shaking means pad deposition is uneven on the rotors. Needs the rotors cleaned or resurfaced depending on the severity.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to simiglen

to simiglen
said by simiglen:

Last week I had some extra weight in my car that I usually don't have. It was in the neighborhood of 400 pounds.

When I applied the brakes the steering wheel would shake. What would cause this?

Your rotors are warped. Replace rotors with new ones. End of story.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

cdru

MVM

said by TheTechGuru:

Your rotors are warped. Replace rotors with new ones. End of story.

Repeat after me: Rotors "warping" is a myth

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

said by cdru:

+ 1

Or even 1,000,000

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to simiglen

Premium Member

to simiglen
Several years ago my brother had a problem with a car that would do that, but only after driving several minutes without touching the brakes. the steering wheel and whole car would shudder.

It was under warranty, so he took it to the Ford dealer, who replaced the front brakes. That didn't work. He took it back several more times and even got a regional manager involved. They ultimately threw up their hands and said it was his problem.

As a stab in the dark, he took it to the guy who did my dad's auto work. He took a test drive, then a look under the hood and immediately discovered the power steering V-belt was the wrong size and was bottoming in the pulley, causing it to slip intermittently. He replaced the belt with the proper size and the problem never resurfaced.

You may not have the wrong size belt, but it could be loose or worn and stretched. Check the belt.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
said by cdru See Profile
[/BQUOTE :

Did... not... know... that.

Seriously... I didn't know... I had a truck that the rotors kept "warping" on. Dealer kept telling me it was because I would get the rotors hot and then drive though water. How do you drive through water on a dry road?

What's funny though, is I remember seeing a TV program with someone from either Brembo, or another high performance brake company, and learned the break-in procedure. Every vehicle since then (this had to be around 1998 or so), I have done this to when I replaced pads, and haven't had an issue since.