uniqs
share rss forum feed

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to NetFixer

Re: How long do Linksys routers last?

said by NetFixer:

The Cisco logo is the Router’s SecureEasySetup button. It lights up and will stay orange when the Router is powered on. The color orange indicates that the Router is not using the SecureEasySetup feature, while the color white indicates that the Router is using the SecureEasySetup feature

Actually the cisco light leds are connected to gpio pins, and can be controlled by the user to signal any condition.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
within the stock firmware and without modification to the board?

public

Santa Clara, CA
said by Mike Wolf:

within the stock firmware and without modification to the board?

no mods, but not sure if the crippled fw gives access to gpio commands.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Don't think I've ever seen any options regarding that light except for the white and amber for the SecureEasySetup function. Would be cool for it to do other things, but I can't think of anything except for perhaps a notification if its overheating or overwhelmed?

public

Santa Clara, CA
said by Mike Wolf:

Don't think I've ever seen any options regarding that light except for the white and amber for the SecureEasySetup function. Would be cool for it to do other things, but I can't think of anything except for perhaps a notification if its overheating or overwhelmed?

default ddwrt uses the light to indicate active wan connection. It could be used to show a specific wireless client, or maybe low memory, or too many tcp connections or just randomly flashing hypnotic device..
GPIO pins are just that. They can be toggled by software at any time.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
very nice. I wonder if the same can be done to the E4200 white LED on the top.

public

Santa Clara, CA
said by Mike Wolf:

very nice. I wonder if the same can be done to the E4200 white LED on the top.

probably. You need to find where the leds are connected.
For example
»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/LED_Scripts