spc
uniqs
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to voxframe

to voxframe

Re: [Bus. Ops] Hosting Akamai

I was not aware of Google providing these appliances. I'll contact them to see what I get.

Right now I'm working on a deal with Roku on reselling their devices for "iptv" until mine is up and running next year (working with another large IPTV backend provider to deploy mine) which is one of the main reasons I'd like to get the content as close to the customer as possible without maxing out any large links. This also comes with working against a large local cable company (Buckeye) but shouldn't become an issue since they just capped (with high overages) all customers across the board - both business and residential customers alike.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

I have more netflix traffic out of my house in a month than your network does. Just a little perspective.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

and again, my network is currently very small. A lot of my customers still use Cable, which I plan on trying to move them away from.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

I understand that, but I think you are planning too far down the line. Being a former owner of a small WISP, I see where your mind is going but you may not need to be there just yet.

zed173
join:2010-07-17
Mississauga, ON

zed173 to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

I was not aware of Google providing these appliances. I'll contact them to see what I get.

Google Global Cache, though I seem to remember they require you to have a certain amount of traffic to them first.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to beachintech

to beachintech
My planning is this way due to launching a large coverage area within a few weeks. With taking on a large cable company that throttles/does UBB I expect a HUGE amount of traffic that will be NF and Hulu. Especially when you have an average cable bill in this area of $90 for 70 channels.- off of their promotions that they refuse to give to current customers.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to zed173

to zed173
What I find when I Google that name is an appliance that is designed off IR. »www.globalcache.com/prod ··· models1/

zed173
join:2010-07-17
Mississauga, ON

zed173

No it's called Google Global Cache.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

My planning is this way due to launching a large coverage area within a few weeks. With taking on a large cable company that throttles/does UBB I expect a HUGE amount of traffic that will be NF and Hulu. Especially when you have an average cable bill in this area of $90 for 70 channels.- off of their promotions that they refuse to give to current customers.

If you read my earlier post, huge was on the order of 4000+ concurrent customers for Netflix. That could mean more than 10 or 20 thousand total customers and thats being optimistic. I think you are light years off from even thinking about these sort of cache boxes.