share rss forum feed

CCarson

join:2001-07-22
Redlands, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to VirtualLarry

Re: Just signed up for 3Mbit service, MA Verizon territory

I have read some reports that say Verizon does its best to try to tear out any existing copper wiring when it installs FiOS, the result being that you cannot then downgrade to copper-based DSL afterward.

Some have said you can request that the copper wiring be left in place, though what I've read suggests those requests often aren't honored.

I'll be interested to hear whether there's any truth in all that.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:28

1 recommendation

Westell 327W should work just fine, just be advised you may need to turn off the Walled Garden: »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How to Turn off the Walled Garden

With regards to FIOS: it can go either way. In some cases, Verizon will refuse to run new copper line after they've installed fiber; in others, they're willing to restore the copper. The biggest determiner, insofar as I can see, is how destructive the removal of the copper line was. If they keep the copper in place and simply disconnect the end, then it's no big deal to restore it. If they remove the line completely (such as when they convert a neighborhood completely to fiber), then they're understandably more reluctant to restore the copper.

Yes, you definitely can request to have the copper left in place; dslx_steve did that. With regards to them not honoring such requests, couldn't say about that; I've never heard of them failing to honor such a request, but I've seen worse screw-ups so it's possible.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

reply to CCarson
When FiOS first came to market standard procedure was to remove the copper drop from the pole to the house once the fiber drop was in place UNLESS you fought to have it left in place. Now that has changed. The copper drop is left in place however if you have phone it will be moved to fiber . The NID or the inside wiring is connected to the ONT (or both). The issue is not getting the copper restored. In fact if you don't order phone the copper and the NID are left alone. The problem is once FiOS is ordered AND installed the address is removed from the data base as available for DSL even if the copper is 100% intact. A loop hole seems to be to already have a 3rd party DSL provider in place BEFORE ordering FiOS . In this case they seem to leave it alone. YMMV and this may depend on your market . I am unsure of how a situation where the customer orders a phone/internet/TV bundle over FiOS and has a third party DSL already in place . You cannot just disconnect the NID from the copper plant as this would cut the DSL . Perhaps a home run is done for the DSL and the rest of the inside wiring moved to Fiber. The customer needs to tell the FiOS installer there is a third party DSL provider present over copper.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:28

1 recommendation

If you've got DSL from us already on one telephone line, and then you order a phone/internet/TV bundle via FIOS, you need to make sure the phone service has a different telephone number, otherwise Verizon will happily cut our DSL line without warning. They're not SUPPOSED to do that, but sad reality is, they DO do that.