billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3
reply to js339

Re: Why is _incoming_ port 25 blocked?

If you are going to operate your own mail server, you really need a static IP. This opens up Port 25 so your server can receive mail. You should also have your server forward all outgoing mail to the CenturyLink SMTP server to prevent it from being treated as spam by other mail servers. I would recommend logging into your CL primary account and creating a separate email address just for the server.

js339

join:2007-03-10
Vancouver, WA

said by "billaustin" :
You should also have your server forward all outgoing mail to the CenturyLink SMTP server to prevent it from being treated as spam by other mail servers.
I already do that via gmail. Although I am not 100% happy with gmail, I think my best solution for now in this case is to leave my MX pointing only to google's mail servers, and then use a utility called fetchmail to retrieve mail via POP and deliver it locally on my machine.

In any case, (except for the shoddy spam filtering I have to put up with) I can have the full functionality of a mail server even though I am not sending or receiving mail directly on port 25.