dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
slajoh01
join:2005-04-23

slajoh01

[WIN7] URGENT - Created a LUA by mistake!!!

On my Mom's notebook, I installed Win 7 and I created usr account with standard user limited account by mistake without Admin rights. The default Admin and Guest accounts are disabled.
So I cannot even create another Admin user account because I didnt have the rights to do so. Now I am "hosed"

So I have these accounts:

Mom's account > Standard USER LUA
Default local Admin > DISABLED
Guest > DISABLED.

Looks like the only way around it is to reinstall Windows unless there is anyway to regain my Mom's standard user account to Admin account.

Its my fault. I forgot to add this to the Admin group and Im soooo mad at myself.

So is there is a way to change my Mom's user LUA to Admin account without reinstalling Windows?

Please help/
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

1 recommendation

Moffetts

NT Password Reset (»pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/) may or may not be able to allow you to enable the admin account. It's hit or miss.
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist to slajoh01

Premium Member

to slajoh01
Sorry but there is NO WAY to create a Standard User account without FIRST making a Named Admin account. So you made changes to the normal, First created, Admin account for it to be a Standard User.

If that is the case it is time to Wipe the drive and start over.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
OP should be able to access SAM hive in Win 7 to enable the Admin account with the NT Password Editor. I don't think the SAM hive changed from Vista and the disk works in Vista. The 'hit and miss' is more a matter of hardware than anything else.
Expand your moderator at work

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 edit

Kramer to slajoh01

Mod

to slajoh01

Re: [WIN7] URGENT - Created a LUA by mistake!!!

How do you end up in this situation? Windows will not allow you to get started without creating at least one administrative account. You can't delete that account or downgrade it without having another administrative account to the best of my knowledge. The admin and guest accounts are always disabled by default in WIN7. As far as I can remember there shouldn't be any way you can get into this situation under normal circumstances. Are you sure there are no other accounts?

Read this too: »answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 803eab83
Anon00
Premium Member
join:2001-09-25
USA

1 edit

Anon00 to slajoh01

Premium Member

to slajoh01
Assuming you didn't mess with the built-in Admin account.

Try safe-mode and see if you can log into the Admin account.

*You know what, I can't remember if this works... like others have said, Windows wants/needs another named admin account.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by Anon00:

like others have said, Windows wants/needs another named admin account.

I think it actually just ensures there is at least one enabled admin - so if the builtin administrator is enabled, that should be sufficient.

Still, I join in the chorus that says that somehow, extra steps are traditionally needed before you can actually point the gun at your own foot.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

NT Password Reset (»pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/) may or may not be able to allow you to enable the admin account. It's hit or miss.

It's always worked for me, unless someone went the extra mile in encrypting the SAM.