uniqs
share rss forum feed

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

[hard drive] SATA3 speed qustion

I got a motherboard that with SATA3 support. After installing SATA3 HD i am still getting SATA2 speeds. I have made sure i am using SATA3 cable.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
Can you maybe give some specifics of the issues you are seeing? Way too much ambiguity to even begin offering ideas.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
Sorry. I have forgotten to specify the HD that i have installed. It is Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500413AS »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···22148701 what i have done is i have ran a benchmark test using CrystalDiskMark.

psafux
Premium,VIP
Excellent.

Do you have a screenshot or some specifics regarding your actual performance?

psafux
Premium,VIP
reply to Oleg
One thought off the top of my head though:
does your motherboard have Sata II & Sata III connectors? Are you using a Sata III connector if so? Some boards have both..

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

2 edits
Click for full size
ST3500413AS Benchmark
Seems like my board has only SATA3 headers. »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157280

psafux
Premium,VIP
Ouch - I have a Sata II drive that has better sequential read & write performance than that.

You may want to try a different benchmark tool.. HD Tune is one example.

May want to check the firmware on the drive & on the motherboard to ensure everything is up to date.

Google to see if there are any known issues with your drive, your motherboard, and the combination of the two (im not doing that for you).

Looks like all the ports on that board are Sata 3 based on Newegg's info. I didn't research any further than that. You may want to to be certain.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to Oleg
Is AHCI/NCQ enable in the bios?

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

2 edits
reply to psafux
I have done all of that yesterday. And yes it is set to AHCI mode in the BIOS.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
reply to Oleg
Looking at some other forum post with the same HDD as you do.
»forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=149225.0

Since, it only have 16MB cache instead of 64MB cache.

I bet you will get something like these result if you use HD Tach to bench: »dyski.cdrinfo.pl/benchmark/hdtac···8VMm.png

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
Yea i know it only has 16MB of cache, what got me confused is the label on the HD say's that it is 6GB/s capable.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

3 edits
reply to FizzyMyNizzy
Click for full size
said by FizzyMyNizzy:

I bet you will get something like these result if you use HD Tach to bench: »dyski.cdrinfo.pl/benchmark/hdtac···8VMm.png

I sure did. So the only way to find out if i truly have no issues with SATA3 is to get another SATA3 HD installed, and than giving a test run by transferring one large file from one drive to another.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
reply to Oleg
The only devices that can take advantage of SATA3 speeds are SSDs. Standard HDD's can't read fast enough to use the bandwidth.
--
Google is your Friend

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
reply to Oleg
I am guessing why they put SATA III on the title/box. Because of couple of thing.

The Cache Memory could reach that level of MB/s even if it is for 1 sec. and The HDD controller support SATA III. Even tho the HDD Pattern + 7200rpm has a limit of read/write MB/s speed.

I also agree with Dogg. If you want to max out those SATA I, II, III port you better off using an SSD drive.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
Yea. I want SSD,but i am waiting for the prices to drop.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to Oleg
said by Oleg:

I have made sure i am using SATA3 cable.

LOL!

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

1 recommendation

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Oleg:

LOL!

Don't you go knocking the gold-plated Monster SATAIII cables. $100/foot.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Oleg
said by Oleg:

You do realize that the cable revision, does not matter here.
Maaaaaybe SATAI cable. And that's a big maybe as I believe it would still perform the EXACT same. No way would using a SATAIII cable over a SATAII cable make ANY difference.
»hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1692046
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Oleg
It's more a matter of what the OP is expecting. The standard rotational HDD cannot max out a SATAII port/connection. The drive being "SATA 3" ready, or whatever the package reads, is a marketing gimic and really only means the drive will work on a SATA 3 port. It doesn't make the drive faster. This is no different than HDD's saying "SATA I" or "SATA II" compatible.

In other words, it's normal. The drive speed will be the same connected to a SATA II or SATA 3 port as it's a mechanical limitation of the HDD, not a port issue.
--
Google is your Friend

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA
If data is in the HDD cache it will be read at 314MB/s going from the HD Tach shot instead of ~200MB/s if it was running at SATA2. That makes it about 20 nanoseconds faster.