January 2013,.......!!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

Interesting.
Nice to see they get to warp up the series.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Octavean

YES!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Octavean

I had hope that they might be able to get more then just one more season out of it. It's a good run either way though. Historically not always accurate but a fun ride nevertheless.

A great series to be sure, the likes of which I have never seen before.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 recommendation

I kinda lost interest after Blood and Sand and Andy Whitfield died from cancer. Never got back into it.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

said by Krisnatharok:

I kinda lost interest after Blood and Sand and Andy Whitfield died from cancer. Never got back into it.

TYou're missing out.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Octavean

After watching a few episodes of Spartacus, I think it might be possible for them to turn the Gor book series into a TV show. Gor falls into the adult theme/nature that Spartacus was. And it has a Sci-fi twist.
A counter Earth that is hidden on the other side of the sun. Ruled by Priest Kings, an alien race that refuses to allow technology to advance past a certain point. It's ok to have a vaccine that grants you long live and freedom from illness, but a flushing toilet just might get you killed by the Priest Kings. They don't want the counter Earth to end up like Earth.
Then you have the Kurri. A large humanoid cat/bear race that live on the "steel worlds". Ships that are outside the Earth's solar system. Their agents manage to slip past the Priest Kings to wreck havoc on Gor.
Then you have the humans. Men who are men and make no apologies for it. Woman who are slaves and their sole purpose in life is to please their male masters or risk getting killed. You have free woman, but they aren't common.
Swords and bows are the weapons of choice, and very few Goreans live to see a ripe old age. They have large birds to fly on, giant reptiles to use for travel, sailing ships.

IMO, a perfect replacement for Spartacus.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Sounds a little like Flash Gordon, was it written pre-60s?

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

It started in the 60's and I think a couple have been written in the 2000's. The author was Blacklisted in the late 70's early 80's due to feminists. They felt treating women as slaves wasn't a good thing. Sharon Green came out with her strong female heroes and subpar male supporting casts [which was ok by the feminist].
If you can find a copy of the first book it's pretty good. The author tends to get side tracked and spends a lot of time on small details. For example why a coin has a certain size, weight, design to it.
The books also launched a S/M bondage style called Gorean.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
reply to Octavean

Tonight!

A reminder for those who can watch it....
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

thanks, I might have missed it if you didn't post that. My Media Center systems typically auto record such shows but since the name of the series keeps changing it would not have recorded it,.....

thanks again,.....

Grimm

Your welcome. I actually was informed that the first episode was available for free to stream on starz.com which is where I watched it. I don't have anything else that allows me to watch it so I'll have to do some looking around this week for the upcoming episodes.
--

StyxKee

join:2001-07-05
GTA, Canada

Seriously, how many drums of red coloured water/paint, and how many drums of ground meat did they use simply for Episode 1? The show has always been over the top, but this takes a huge cake and shoved it down with just one bite.

BTW, those rusty swords that they used must be Valyrian Steel...Off the heads with just a single stoke. Oh, hang on, wrong show!

Grimm

LOL I too thought, damn they must REALLY sharpen those swords.
--

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Grimm

install XBMX with an add-on called ice films will take care of most of your TV needs.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Octavean

This season is looking excellent so far. Finally, a worthy nemesis for spartacus who has become indestructible.

I actually enjoy the over the top gore/nudity.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Agreed. Even though he's teh antagonist, I really like the new Roman Commander. He seems honorable, understands and values disciple and hard work, doesn't let his wealth or position make him think he's better than others, and actually recognizes Spartacus' skill and strength. I also love the fact that he was humble enough to be trained by a slave/former gladiator in gladiatorial combat. His son seems like a pompous little shit though.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Octavean

Wow wow wow. This season is OFF THE CHARTS. Tonight's episode was pure entertainment.

That is good TV people.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

Agree.. All the other seasons took 5-6 episodes to develop the story and make it interesting. This season took only 1. This is turning out to be the best season so far. I'm even used to the new spartacus now.

I really hope they go through with the sequel of this show. I don't want this series to ever end.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Grimm

said by Grimm:

Your welcome. I actually was informed that the first episode was available for free to stream on starz.com which is where I watched it. I don't have anything else that allows me to watch it so I'll have to do some looking around this week for the upcoming episodes.

In the spirit of the show perhaps I should have said "gratitude" instead,....

Like everyone else here I think the season is off to a great start and I don't want the show to ever end,....

Still like other shows such as BSG there is a built in ending. The history is a bit vague in some places though,....

I only dared to hope for two more seasons but if we only get this one then too bad,...

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

I really hope they go through with the sequel of this show. I don't want this series to ever end.

Sequel? What sequel?
--

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

Starz is considering a squeal/spin off.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
reply to Octavean

It sucks that Starz is only giving is 3 seasons because it's started to cost money. It was originally meant to be 5+.

And only 10 episodes? What the fuck starz.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

I don't think the pace feels rushed on the series as a whole. We'll see how the series concludes but so far it seems a decent pace. I had hopes for another season but when you see the checkpoints in the history going by you see the end is ni,...

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

It's not rushed, it's just a shame it has to end.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

said by Alcohol:

It's not rushed, it's just a shame it has to end.

I hear you,....

All good things,....

All we can ever really hope for is a fun ride as long as it lasts and it has been that,....

Jay_
Formerly known as Carnage
Premium
join:2001-05-15
Pickering On
kudos:2

1 recommendation

I dunno. I'm a bit turned off from the show lately. It's just more of the same from previous seasons. Eventually the gore and sex just become boring.

I'm still watching and "enjoying" it but it's not at the top of my list like it previously was.
--
"The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't, are both right. Which one are you?"

racer9876
Defender Of The Universe
Premium
join:2000-07-03
Rosamond, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Antelecom
reply to Octavean

Well at least its good to finally have an adversary that is a match for Spartacus as far as wits are concerned. Not only seeing through his plan to fight him on two fronts back turn the pirates (You can't trust pirates anymore ) on him.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

Only 5 episodes before the end of spartacus. It seems like something big is going to happen. Maybe key characters will be killed in this battle.

I was hoping spartacus had a plan to fire cannons from the ship to the roman ships. I don't see how they can fight all those.
--

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Octavean

this last episode was great, but i didn't follow the whole deal with that slave girl the father & son were separately banging. ceaser using her as an excuse to go to the front lines instead of back to town to gather more men seemed lame, and her fear of being alone in running the town villa with the son, while the father was in rome didn't seem like a bad deal, when compared to joining a gang of exiled slaves running away in the thick of winter.

this whole side plot seemed contrived and unneeded - the writers could have just as easily kept the slave and ceaser where they were - as it made no difference later to anyone in the plot line once the slaves slipped through the wall to escape. - if the writers needed to get the slave girl to join spartacus i really can't see why bother, as he already out foxed the romans without her insights, and none of the romans would compromise their pursuit of spartacus just because of a pretty slave girl... unless she plans to spy on the slave rebellion for the romans - which is also doubtful.

i read next week's synopsis which said there will be further division between ceaser and the roman leader's son, but again - that plot direction would have occurred with or without that slave girl around.