how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rdstoll

join:2000-10-25
Des Plaines, IL
reply to blamblamblam

Re: Do I still need a self-install kit if I supply my own modem?

If I already have Comcast HSI but want to add a second modem to help improve mt wireless coverage in my house can i just buy a modem and hook it up or do i have to call Comcast to have them activate the modem once connected? Also, where on here is a list of the best modems to get for Comcast right now?

Master Wolfe

join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL
said by rdstoll:

If I already have Comcast HSI but want to add a second modem to help improve mt wireless coverage in my house can i just buy a modem and hook it up or do i have to call Comcast to have them activate the modem once connected? Also, where on here is a list of the best modems to get for Comcast right now?

Sounds like you need a new wireless router or extender, not another modem.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rdstoll
said by rdstoll:

Here is the approved equipment list.

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

You cannot add another modem and have two in use on the same account. You can open another account and pay double though, obviously not what you want to do.

A new modem may have better wireless capability, but you won't be able to know that unless you try it. Could be an expense with no benefit.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by graysonf:

You cannot add another modem and have two in use on the same account. You can open another account and pay double though, obviously not what you want to do.

You don't necessarily need to open another account. All you need is to have a multiple IP address account. A business account allows up to 5 CPE MAC addresses to be used, and a residential customer can also simply pay for additional IP addresses. I does not appear to make any difference to Comcast how many physical modems you use as long as you don't try to exceed the number of simultaneously connected devices that your account allows.

I have had no problems with my account by putting my Vonage router on its own cable modem, and running everything else through my primary cable modem. The only problem I ran into was a signal level problem, not an account problem, so I am not currently doing that. Most likely though, as soon as I get around to running a parallel coax run for a second cable modem so that my primary SB6121 (which would be on the -3.5db leg of the first splitter) does not have signal level problems, I will return to using a separate cable modem for VoIP traffic.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 recommendation

said by NetFixer:

said by graysonf:

a residential customer can also simply pay for additional IP addresses.

Just to add: Not every market offers additional IPs for a residential account. I know this because I tried a little while back.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

rdstoll

join:2000-10-25
Des Plaines, IL
reply to Master Wolfe
Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well...have a three level house and trying to get everyone to have a good signal has been an issue. Have an airport extreme right now but thinking of switching to an Asus RT-N66U.

Thanks!

mario02423

join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL
reply to rdstoll
If you're looking to extend the wireless coverage in your house, you should consider buying a wireless extender (or repeater). Adding a second modem would not only double your current charges (as you'd need a second account), but it would be nearly technologically impossible to "bridge" the two together to create a bigger wireless footprint. (Sorry for re-answering, didn't see the second page.)