Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Arty50
Premium
join:2003-10-04

2 edits

[IPv6] My router doesn't work over IPv6

Pardon me if I missed the answer to this question earlier, but after reading through the stickied thread and several other sources I have a question.

Currently, when I hook my computer directly to my modem, I can utilize IPV6. However, my router (which is IPV6 capable) does not work over IPV6. I've checked the settings on the router a few times and I'm pretty sure I'm setting it up right. So, the best I can gather at this point is that I'm behind a Cisco CMTS, which means that IPV6 is live but DHCPv6 PD is not. Would that be a correct statement?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

1 recommendation

Re: [IPv6] Evidence of Comcast IPv6 CPE Dual Stack (CPE and CPEP

said by Arty50:

Pardon me if I missed the answer to this question earlier, but after reading through this thread and several other sources I have a question.

Currently, when I hook my computer directly to my modem, I can utilize IPV6. However, my router (which is IPV6 capable) does not work over IPV6. I've checked the settings on the router a few times and I'm pretty sure I'm setting it up right. So, the best I can gather at this point is that I'm behind a Cisco CMTS, which means that IPV6 is live but DHCPv6 PD is not. Would that be a correct statement?

When you say that you can utilize IPv6, are you sure that you are not just automatically connecting using a 6to4 tunnel, rather than using native dual stack? When I was using the SMCD3G-CCR gateway (which does not itself support IPv6), I could still get IPv6 connectivity with static IP boxes because they would just automatically connect to Comcast's 6to4 relay. One way to find out if you are using a tunnel of some kind when directly connected to your modem is to go to »test-ipv6.com/ (Comcast's version of this test does not bother to analyze what kind of IPv6 connection you have).

Also some routers will not be able to use auto detection with Comcast's DHCPv6. Both my Netgear WNR1000v2 and my D-Link DIR655 require me to explicitly select DHCP for the IPv6 connection method (as shown below):

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:79
reply to Arty50

Re: [IPv6] My router doesn't work over IPv6

said by Arty50:

Pardon me if I missed the answer to this question earlier, but after reading through this thread and several other sources I have a question.

What type of router do you have? PM me your cable modem MAC Address and I can check that CMTS for IPv6 support in your area.

Arty50
Premium
reply to NetFixer

Thanks for the suggestions. I just ran the test again to confirm. It's native dual stack, not a tunnel. I'm selecting DHCPv6-PD on my router too. No dice.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

What brand/model router do you have? What are the IPv6 options?

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to Arty50

said by Arty50:

Thanks for the suggestions. I just ran the test again to confirm. It's native dual stack, not a tunnel. I'm selecting DHCPv6-PD on my router too. No dice.

ok need to know the router type to go anywhere with this one. But DHCPv6 is needed along with DHCPv6-PD is required on a router.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

1 recommendation

How can you tell if a router supports those things If they don't show up as changeable setting? My Linksys router supports native IPv6 and 6RD tunnel automatic and manual as changeable options.

Extide

join:2000-06-11

1 recommendation

reply to Arty50

said by Arty50:

What type of test? Do you have an ipv6 ip that starts with 2601: or 2001: ? Native IPv6 should be 2601, whereas 2001 is going to be a tunnel.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by Extide:

said by Arty50:

What type of test? Do you have an ipv6 ip that starts with 2601: or 2001: ? Native IPv6 should be 2601, whereas 2001 is going to be a tunnel.

2601: is the DHCPv6 prefix that is assigned to a router's LAN, but 2001:558: is the prefix for the router's WAN IP address (or I believe for a single PC IP address if no router is involved). Both of those prefixes indicate a native IPv6 address. You are probably thinking of the 2002: prefix that is used for a 6to4 tunnel.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Arty50
Premium
reply to Arty50

Re: [IPv6] My router doesn't work over IPv6

Ok, I got this all figured out finally. It was my router. The latest firmware for my Asus RT-N66U wasn't allowing me to use IPv6. I switched to Merlin's firmware for this router and now everything is working properly. Thanks, everyone!!!

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO

said by Arty50:

Ok, I got this all figured out finally. It was my router. The latest firmware for my Asus RT-N66U wasn't allowing me to use IPv6. I switched to Merlin's firmware for this router and now everything is working properly. Thanks, everyone!!!

What version of ASUS was it? did you reboot when you made the change? I worked with ASUS to get the RT-N66U so I know it works. I can test the new code later this week but what code did you have on it?

Arty50
Premium

I tried the following firmware revisions from ASUS with no luck:
3.0.0.4.220 (downgraded from 260)

I then switched to the following Merlin version of their firmware:

IPv6 fired up perfectly after that. It looks like Merlin just released a new version based on 260. I'll try that later tonight.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

1 recommendation

reply to NetFixer

Apparently, your router is NOT unique.

I had originally used Auto-Detect for my WNDR3700v4 (factory firmware explicitly supports IPv6), and I wound up with the tunnel; however, by changing to explicit DHCP, I have the *correct* IPv6 range (2601:: block subseries, NOT the 2002:: block subseries used by the Comcast alternative 6to4 tunnel). This won't be unique to Windows 8 (or even to Windows), but it's a solid indicator as to whether the IPv6 detection of your router is working correctly or is wonky.