Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to drew

Premium Member

to drew

Re: Intel to Kill Off Replaceable CPUs

Do people really replace their CPU's that often without replacing their motherboards?

If I'm upgrading to a newer CPU, more then likely I'm buying a newer, better motherboard also.

I can see enthusiasts that "side grade" their CPU's often, getting angry over this. But I raelly don't see the huge issue.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Ghastlyone:

Do people really replace their CPU's that often without replacing their motherboards?

I have done it on two renewals, and I'm thinking of doing it again. I went from the Q6600 to a Q9650. I have a 2600K and may or may not go to the 3770K.
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

ctggzg

Premium Member

said by DKS:

I have a 2600K and may or may not go to the 3770K.

I almost made that mistake recently until I realized it would only be about an 8% boost.
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420

Premium Member

said by ctggzg:

said by DKS:

I have a 2600K and may or may not go to the 3770K.

I almost made that mistake recently until I realized it would only be about an 8% boost.

Agreed. Who the heck would go from 2600k to 3770K except those with more money than sense. Personally with a 2600k @ 4.3 GHz I will be waiting for Haswell or even Skylake depending on how things progress.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

If I'm upgrading to a newer CPU, more then likely I'm buying a newer, better motherboard also.

I can see enthusiasts that "side grade" their CPU's often, getting angry over this. But I raelly don't see the huge issue.

It's not even necesarily about upgrading, but the fact that different motherboards offer different features at different feature levels. The reason I may choose mobo A over B could be a drastic difference and they're assuming that they can encompass all needs in one mobo? I highly doubt this and really hope this is just rumor mill or niche market BS.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

The biggest issue is frying it once you fry the MB it's trash.

Seems like a money grab more then ever.

YEAH but WE WANT A LONGER warranty at lest 5 year minimum fully transferable, full coverage.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Yes, and sometimes more than once per board.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf

said by EUS:

said by Ghastlyone:

Yes, and sometimes more than once per board.

I just upgraded an old 775 E5200 to an E8500. Runs much better and for the $40 makes a good "mid life" upgrade for cheap.

To move to a Core i3 based solution I'd need a CPU, MB, RAM, looking at $300. I've done the eBay mid life upgrade to my last 2 computers.

If Intel goes through with this, my longstanding Intel only loyalty will change and I will look at AMD. I don't buy high powered PC's (for my HTPC) so AMD would meet my needs just fine.