TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

Rust :(

As I was washing my 2006 Mazda 3 hatch the other day I noticed some rust starting to appear at the seam where the rear plastic bumper meets the metal of the body (sorry I don't have a picture as I'm away on travel at the moment).

I'm really disappointed to see this. I am taking good care of the car and wash the road salt off of it on a regular basis and also touch-up paint chips as they occur. I am hoping to keep the car for several more years as I don't put much mileage on it since I spend a lot of time away due to my job (it only has 52,600 km on it).

Anyways, since the car is clearly out of warranty, what are my options without spending thousands of dollars at an autobody shop?

I would assume to stop the rust I would have to remove the rear bumper, grind and sand the affected metal to remove the rust and then apply primer and paint to seal it up?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus
for small areas of surface rust, I have used a rust neutralizer that contains phosphoric acid. It turns the rust into a primer. Then touch-up over it.

I have some dings on the door of my 25-year old Mustang that still show no rust after using the neutralizer and never painting over.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
said by shdesigns:

for small areas of surface rust

What I'm afraid of is that this may be more than just surface rust, since it's happening in a seam where water/moisture/dirt can get trapped.

I'll know more once I pull the plastic bumper cover off.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TheMG
Late model Mazdas seem to be terrible for premature rust.

Please DO check your warranty to see if you still have coverage.
Even if it has recently expired, I would still chase them down.
Rust perforation coverage is often unlimited mileage.

I'm assuming that the area in question has never had collision repairs performed...
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
said by Cho Baka:

Please DO check your warranty to see if you still have coverage.
Even if it has recently expired, I would still chase them down.
Rust perforation coverage is often unlimited mileage.

"* 2012 and older model years include a 60 Months / Unlimited Kilometers Perforation Warranty."

»www.mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPage.···Warranty

Damnit! I had my hopes up when I saw the 96 months perforation warranty.

I guess I'll talk to the dealership anyways and see what they say about it. Maybe I'll get lucky.

said by Cho Baka:

I'm assuming that the area in question has never had collision repairs performed...

Nope.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to TheMG
depending on how much of an issue - it may not be thousands of dollars... If there is a local guy who does work on the side - you might be able to get a really good deal...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
reply to TheMG
7 years in your climate is pretty darn good its only what you have found ( built in 2005 as a 2006 model year ). I wouldn't do anything, they all will turn to dust in time with road salt

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
reply to TheMG
I don't believe TheMG lives in part on Canada that is especially prone to rust.
--

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to TheMG
I just picked up some flat black rustoleum, to spray on the rest spots on our mini van. My wife was gripping about them. The van is 13 years old, so she figured the paint wouldn't hurt the resale value of the van.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON
reply to TheMG
Rust is like cancer , once it starts it's difficult to stop . Short of cutting out all the effected metal your just prolonging the inevitable . There is no easy fix for this ...

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
I wish they made the damn car bodies out of stainless steel. Sure, it would be more expensive, but it would last a hell of a lot longer and that's a premium I'd be willing to pay for (assuming they don't mark up the costs to ridiculous levels like stainless appliance manufacturers do).

Of course, nothing is made to last these days.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
You'd like a DeLorean then. SS panels. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeLorean_DMC-12#Body
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
reply to TheMG
Move to a place they don't put crap in the roads that kill cars

Down here, nothing rusts, well unless you drive on the beach ..

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL
reply to TheMG
anodized aluminum would be neat i think

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I just picked up some flat black rustoleum, to spray on the rest spots on our mini van. My wife was gripping about them. The van is 13 years old, so she figured the paint wouldn't hurt the resale value of the van.

It is much better to mechanically remove all loose rust with a wire brush attachment on a drill and then convert any leftover hard rust with Por-15.

Stop Rust Permanently with POR15 coatings
»www.por15.com/whatispor15.asp
quote:
POR-15 is the product that changed car restoration permanently and is used by manufacturers world-wide to protect their factories from rust and corrosion. POR-15's non-porous coating keeps moisture away from metal permanently. The secret lies in POR-15's curing process. Most paints dry through evaporation, but POR-15 dries faster when moisture is present.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
If I started grinding and removing the badly corroded areas, there might not be a mini van left

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
said by Snakeoil:

If I started grinding and removing the badly corroded areas, there might not be a mini van left

I follow you, but no grinding is needed, it is just brushing to remove loose flakes then paint...

Or you can do this:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvcepMwqmZs

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
There is a very good chance he has perforation from inside.
The saltbelt is special.

Rustoleum to fix it would be like a bandaid to fix a shotgun wound.
--