With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium Member
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC

Pentangle to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k

Re: A good reminder for all...

Most decent restaurants now have portable card readers. They just bring them to your table and wait while you punch in your pin.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

garys_2k

Premium Member

Is that something you have to ask for? I've never had that option presented to me, even at really nice places.

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium Member
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC

Pentangle

Premium Member

Most restaurants in Vancouver have them. For the very few that don't, you have to go up to the cash register to process your bill. I haven't let a server walk away with my credit card in ages.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Pentangle

Premium Member

to Pentangle
said by Pentangle:

Most decent restaurants now have portable card readers. They just bring them to your table and wait while you punch in your pin.

I've never seen that around here.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Pentangle

Premium Member

to Pentangle
said by Pentangle:

That's only for Chip & Pin cards (C&P) - basically just in Canada & Europe right now, but coming to credit cards everywhere eventually.

Just be aware that there are ways around the PIN if your card is lost/stolen. Even though my C&P card was not stolen I have gotten authorization using an invalid PIN for $15k on my card. And there are other ways around C&P technology - see research from University of Cambridge in England for details.