Vomio

Start, not my ISP, but he's local.

Looks happy.

»www.lfpress.com/2012/11/ ··· n-london

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34

Finally we see the face behind the message posts and emails... I thought he'd be taller!!!

Nice pic RoccO! (way to go Freeps!)

That must have been a nice little contract to land (LAWN).

Keep on truckin'.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to Vomio

Premium Member

to Vomio
Looks drunk. I wasn't, promise. I'm definitely not taller though.
rocca

rocca to jasmo34

Premium Member

to jasmo34
said by jasmo34:

That must have been a nice little contract to land (LAWN).

It was spearheaded by Downtown London »www.downtownlondon.ca which is the London Downtown Business Association. We were on the original task force that started a pilot group, probably over a year ago now. Most of our time is volunteered and our internet points into the network are significantly discounted so it's more about contributing back to something bigger than it being a lucrative thing. In some ways it's sort of against what you'd expect as there are some people that are in our serving area that do use the wireless instead of buying service from us. On the other hand it probably helps stories like this come out and you can't argue free press. In the end though it's more about that we think Downtown London is doing a great job to bring life back into the downtown core and are just happy to be a (very) small part of that. It's certainly been a fun project to work on too.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34

And... prestO - changeO... One little email, and RoccO is now RoccA!

Thanks Freeps, and Hank Daniszewski.

dwane1972
I recommend Start.ca
join:2003-10-08
Bailieboro, ON
Netgear R7900

dwane1972 to Vomio

to Vomio
Hmmm... Rocca that pic of you reminds me of another epic picture. I actually have this hanging above my computer desk at home. (The Sopranos, not you!)

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by dwane1972:

(The Sopranos, not you!)

Whew!

wonderer
@cgocable.net

wonderer to Vomio

Anon

to Vomio
Whats the infrastructure plan? Since Start does not have any physical copper or fiber in the ground that I am aware of.

Just a wondering mind..

My2CentsST
@start.ca

My2CentsST to Vomio

Anon

to Vomio
Keep up the great work, Peter! I've been with start for only a couple of months and I've been quite happy with the service.

I did a lot of research on who I should go with and, ultimately, my particular needs, budget and the feedback on these forums led me to Start.

I'm recommending Start to everyone!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to wonderer

Premium Member

to wonderer
said by wonderer :

Whats the infrastructure plan? Since Start does not have any physical copper or fiber in the ground that I am aware of.

Only the telephone companies have copper in the ground and only the cable companies have coax in the ground. There are almost no areas in Ontario where there is an overbuild (ie two competing telephone companies or two competing cable companies) This is due to decades (or a century in the case of Bell) of government protected monopolies that ensured a guaranteed profit margin, ie any time they needed to build something they would apply to the CRTC for a rate payer increase to cover the costs of adding more facilities. The biggest hurdle to competitors being able to roll out an overbuild is simply access to these rights of ways and support structures that the incumbents have had a free ride on building out.

One of the things that gets sadly missed when asked "where do we invest in networks", and the answer is quite simply that we are investing directly every day through the incumbents and cable companies with our significant fees that are then used to build and pay for these networks that everyone uses. Every component we wholesale is at a regulated price that fully compensates the underlying network provider for all of their costs, plus a substantial markup.

This is the most efficient way of expanding networks as it doesn't mean digging up the same streets 10 times to put in 10 new ISP's, with 10 times more 'curb furniture' (the support boxes in your neighbourhoods, etc). If you look at the reinvestment rate of independent ISP's compared to the giants, you'll see that for most independent operators that the vast majority of profit is sunk back into the networks, growth and staffing right here in Canada vs the giants that generally have their massive profits returned as dividends.

That said, we do also have our own infrastructure in downtown London where possible, specifically we have our own DSLAM's in the Clarence CO as well as some fibre in the core. We also have about 50 wireless POP's in the rural areas surrounding London, St. Thomas, Port Stanley, Dutton, Iona, Thorndale, Harrietsville and many more. We are certainly happy to invest and provide back into the communities that support us and where it makes sense we'll continue to lay fibre ourselves, ie between POP's etc.

Hope that helps answer your question?
rocca

rocca to My2CentsST

Premium Member

to My2CentsST
said by My2CentsST :

Keep up the great work, Peter! I've been with start for only a couple of months and I've been quite happy with the service.

I did a lot of research on who I should go with and, ultimately, my particular needs, budget and the feedback on these forums led me to Start.

I'm recommending Start to everyone!

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your support and recommendations!