join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Liberty

Premium Member

to Liberty

Re: Structured wiring questions for new (old) home

said by Liberty:

You are entitled to your opinion Jack

I have been working in the field for well over a decade and am speaking from real world experience

I am sure there are plenty of exceptions to any 'rule' but doesn't change the facts that certain materials are not engineered to perform certain tasks - even if they sometimes can/do

fwiw - sat tv receivers use 13 and 18 volts
100% of sat installations REQUIRE 3gig swept/solid copper coax - no exceptions allowed

Around a decade? Ok

I guess I'll have to stop watching my Directv as it can't be working without 3 GHz swept/solid copper coax and 3 GHz barrel connectors.
quote:
100% of sat installations REQUIRE 3gig swept/solid copper coax - no exceptions allowed
How about posting the info from Directv and Dish stating that. I agree that RG-6 is a requirement but 3 GHz
quote:
It's important that you use RG6 cable due to the frequency of the digital signals it must carry. RG6 has the correct impedance (75 ohms) and acceptable signal losses at 950 to 1450 MHz.
Source: »support.directv.com/app/ ··· g-cables

950 to 1450 MHz is a long way from 3 GHz.

It never ceases to amaze me the statements I see on this thread.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

said by
I guess I'll have to stop watching my Directv as it can't be working without 3 GHz swept/solid copper coax and 3 GHz barrel connectors.
quote:
How about posting the info from Directv and Dish stating that. I agree that RG-6 is a requirement but 3 GHz
quote:
It's important that you use RG6 cable due to the frequency of the digital signals it must carry. RG6 has the correct impedance (75 ohms) and acceptable signal losses at 950 to 1450 MHz.
Source: »support.directv.com/app/ ··· g-cables

950 to 1450 MHz is a long way from 3 GHz.

It never ceases to amaze me the statements I see on this thread.
[/BQUOTE :

May I be so bold as to suggest that one can try to make a point without being an assh*le in the process?

I think you may find a bit of helpful info at this link - be sure to read the complete thread as some later comments will help in understanding what we are REQUIRED to do.

»forums.directv.com/pe/ac ··· 10525897

Yes there are sub contractors who don't give a 'bleep' and cut corners and don't follow the rules
Less than optimal service is often the result...