spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Foristality

join:2010-12-04
M2K 6T8

[Cable] Does anyone else lag during max upload?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else lags like crazy when upload speed is maxed out.

I'm on 28/1 Mbps, when uploading something the ping in game spikes to 500 ms+.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

Well, yeah. Your time sensitive packets are getting swamped by whatever is maxing out your upload.

You need to either cap the upload speed for whatever is currently maxing it out, or set up QoS on your router.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
reply to Foristality

Whatever you are uploading you're best capping it at something like 750Kbps otherwise you aren't leaving much room for anything else or even a buffer to ensure the service isn't overloaded.

Foristality

M2K 6T8

I'm not uploading anything really, There are 5 computers hooked to the network. Which means small amount of data could be uploading at all times if these 5 computers are being used.

This is apparently causing some serious lagging when I'm gaming.

How do I cap the upload limit? I do have DD-WRT.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Foristality

This is normal behaviour for any network connection of any kind. Information on setting up QoS can be found: »www.dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/Qua···_Service
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Foristality

Well with 5 simultaneous users you could just be bouncing off your max download speed more often which means move of your upload speed would be used to send ACK packets. If there aren't applications somewhere on the network eating up the upload then implementing QoS on your router will be your only reprieve.

Here is to hoping we get the increased upload speed with the pending CRTC decision!

Foristality

M2K 6T8

No one is a heavy user.

Email, facebook. and youtube at worse.

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON

You state in the title that it lags during max upload. Yes, your download and ping times will suffer when the upstream is near max. It doesn't take heavy typical usage, only ~1M upstream.

Kokuei

join:2010-03-23
reply to Foristality

It's rogers throttling IIRC. If you're uploading, all other traffic gets slowed to a halt.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by Kokuei:

It's rogers throttling IIRC. If you're uploading, all other traffic gets slowed to a halt.

Rogers does not throttle on TPIA. The root issue is the lack of upstream bandwidth.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to Foristality

said by Foristality:

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else lags like crazy when upload speed is maxed out.

I'm on 28/1 Mbps, when uploading something the ping in game spikes to 500 ms+.

Yes, its normal. Quick & Dirty Gaming QoS, give UDP full priority.