All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« Bad tie rod end?Rust :( »
This is a sub-selection from Tire Inflation ?

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

reply to Rifleman

Re: Tire Inflation ?

If they are truly overinflated, yes. Just being higher than the auto manufacturer's recommendation does not necessarily qualify them as such. Ford Explorers in the Firestone tire fiasco specified 26 psi on tires that were rated for 35 (I'm guessing a 15-inch wheel). We see how well that worked out for them.

Give me 30k miles of great driving vs. 50k miles of so-so driving per set of tires any day.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Plymouth, MI

said by MooJohn:

Ford Explorers in the Firestone tire fiasco specified 26 psi on tires that were rated for 35

I believe they did that to reduce the likelihood of a rollover. Unfortunately, it backfired because the tires overheated, blew out, and caused the vehicle to roll over. Most likely those tires would have been safe if they had been inflated to 35 psi to begin with.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

said by Jim Gurd:

said by MooJohn:

Ford Explorers in the Firestone tire fiasco specified 26 psi on tires that were rated for 35

I believe they did that to reduce the likelihood of a rollover. Unfortunately, it backfired because the tires overheated, blew out, and caused the vehicle to roll over. Most likely those tires would have been safe if they had been inflated to 35 psi to begin with.

Nope, they didn't blow out (if some did it was an after effect), the tread separated and after that the leftover tire carcass would sometime disintegrate (then blow out afterwards) since the protection and overall tire integrity was gone with the tread.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_···troversy
quote:
The failures all involved tread separation — the tread peeling off followed often by tire disintegration. If that happened, and the vehicle was running at speed, there was a high likelihood of the vehicle leaving the road and rolling over.
And you should read about old rubber stock being used.

Firestone Plant in Illinois Made Many Problem Tires
»abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96172&page=1
quote:
ABCNEWS has learned that eight former employees of Bridgestone/Firestone Inc., have testified or promise to testify that they used out-of-date rubber stock for their tires; that radial coils were exposed to humidity, making them vulnerable to rust; and that final inspections were done too quickly.

A report in today’s Washington Post also said that some employees punctured bubbles in tires, in order to cover up flaws in the products.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to MooJohn

said by MooJohn:

If they are truly overinflated, yes. Just being higher than the auto manufacturer's recommendation does not necessarily qualify them as such. Ford Explorers in the Firestone tire fiasco specified 26 psi on tires that were rated for 35 (I'm guessing a 15-inch wheel). We see how well that worked out for

It wasn't the tire pressure of 26 that caused the defects in the tires to show themselves. Those tires would have had tread separation at any pressure. You can read about it in my prior post.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?