spc
uniqs

parallel_jay
join:2006-02-08
Edmonton, AB

parallel_jay to Habboy

to Habboy

Re: Just Got Turbo 50

First understand that optimizing Wifi and optimizing your DSL connection are mutually exclusive things. Sounds more like you want to squeeze the most out of your Wifi to bring it inline with your connection speed.

While her wireless reports 35-55mbp/s download speeds, you won't be getting those speeds. The reported speed vs real world is usually a wide delta. Real world, with security enabled, I doubt you are pulling down more the 10-20Mbps.

I have a 802.11n wireless AP in the same room as my laptop, and have it reporting 130Mbps when connected. I get closer to speeds you'd call 50Mbps when transferring off my network. This speed falls off quickly as the laptop moves away from the AP. This also fluctuates due to the amount of wireless networks in my building. 140 unit apartment complexes have this kind of problem.

Want guaranteed speeds? Use a guaranteed system (wired). Wireless will fluctuate, and I had to do a decent amount of finagling to coax that speed out of my 802.11n connection.

Habboy
join:2012-11-27
Surrey, BC

Habboy

Good points....I just wanted a BIG improvement over the basic high speed I had, moving to Turbo 50, which I do....just want MORE!!

I dunno how to utilize the 'wired' solution for my main computer as they are in completely different rooms....I guess Telus would charge to re-locate the router

ynohtna
Need... Speed
join:2005-02-02
Burnaby, BC

ynohtna

said by Habboy:

I dunno how to utilize the 'wired' solution for my main computer as they are in completely different rooms....I guess Telus would charge to re-locate the router

Some of the 500mbps powerline over ethernet devices might help you. But very hard to predict until you actually just try it in your house