All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Guido
join:2008-04-01
Kitchener, ON

Guido to Annex

to Annex

Re: Teksavvy is down in the north west of Waterloo, anyone else?

Redundancy costs money. If you want higher uptime, get a backup connection or a fibre connection (with a backup!).

TSI Brandon
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Brandon

Premium Member

**Update**

We have been advised that there has been a Fibre Line cut, which was the root cause of the whole area going down. There is still no ETA for this.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to Guido

to Guido
said by Guido:

Redundancy costs money. If you want higher uptime, get a backup connection or a fibre connection (with a backup!).

Gotta say that's just the most ridiculous thing I've ever saw posted on here. Who in their right mind would pay for 2 residential internet connections?

What you need is ONE connection with a RELIABLE TRUSTWORTHY NO BULLSHIT NO EXCUSES ISP!!!!

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

BGB to TSI Brandon

Premium Member

to TSI Brandon
said by TSI Brandon:

**Update**

We have been advised that there has been a Fibre Line cut, which was the root cause of the whole area going down. There is still no ETA for this.

That sucks. Hate it when fibre lines go down

(And before the haters say something, it happens with the incumbents too. I've had outages related to fibre cuts in the past with both bell and rogers)

Hopefully it gets fixed tonight. In the meantime I got a bunch of dvds ready.

dontcomplain
@telus.com

dontcomplain to elitefx

Anon

to elitefx
well then switch... there's nothing that says you have to stay... switch to one of the larger companies that have money to put into their infrastructure and have backup lines. There's also nothing in their TOS, or any TOS, that guarantees 100% uptime. For the amount of internet and bandwidth cap that I am getting compared to the other companies, Im not complaining if something like this happens. If I needed almost guaranteed uptime though and run a business I wouldn't be relying on Teksavvy though for my internet, although for some reason you guys are putting all your trust in them... that's just your own fault. Just stop complaining, there's obviously someone working on splicing the fibre back together (which takes a lot of skill and labour). Not like it's going to get done any faster...
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by Guido:

Gotta say that's just the most ridiculous thing I've ever saw posted on here. Who in their right mind would pay for 2 residential internet connections?

What you need is ONE connection with a RELIABLE TRUSTWORTHY NO BULLSHIT NO EXCUSES ISP!!!!

No residential provider promises 100% uptime. If internet is an integral part of your livelihood, you'll happily pay up for carrier grade access or a backup connection.

Guido
join:2008-04-01
Kitchener, ON

Guido to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by Guido:

Oh Wise One! Please enlighten us all as to the name of this mythical 100% uptime residential ISP! I hope they cost the same or less than Teksavvy. I'll be submitting my resume there tomorrow as I'm sure it would be lovely to work for an ISP where technical support is not necessary.

I await your response with bated breath.

Look, I understand the frustration people feel when their connections go down - I'm a student as well as a tech worker, and I'm usually online during most of my waking hours - but nothing (including ISPs) is perfect. Have a backup plan: Second connection, go to a library, go to your school, go to a coffee shop.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

If internet is an integral part of your livelihood, you'll happily pay up for carrier grade access or a backup connection.

Well, if everyone is running a business on their home computer then shouldn't they have a "Business" connection or some such thing?

What you said makes perfect sense but I wonder how realistic that expectation is. I thought running a business on a residential connection was against the rules? Don't know.

I know my Rogers connection has been down maybe 6 times in 10 years and except for the 2 1/2 hour blackout a month? or so ago the longest has never exceeded 1/2 hour.

Guess you get what you pay for.............
Annex
join:2007-11-21
Kitchener, ON

Annex to TSI Brandon

to TSI Brandon
I'd love to know who cut the fibre and where, and not just for curiosities sake. And what happened to secondary connections? Single line cut shouldnt take out multiple cities. This isn't Africa
Buzzymandias
join:2012-08-20
Waterloo, ON

Buzzymandias to dontcomplain

to dontcomplain
You're assuming that getting the repair done quickly is the reason for complaining. I doubt anyone really thinks that posting a message here will get the cable spliced faster. The real purpose of venting here is giving TS a tangible reminder that customer service is crucial to customer retention. Like sending a petition to your MP may not affect the current situation you're protesting, but the annoyingness of constant letters keeps your MP on notice that someone's watching. (Maybe a bad example, since many of them don't care anyway, but you get the drift). So we're actually helping TS by sending a signal about how much we value reliable service. I for one would pay an extra $5-10/month if I knew that there was enough redundancy in the system for this kind of thing not to happen (is that enough money? Idk). As for going to another ISP... Show me one who actually has implemented such a system. I'm not paying more for crappier service, for similar downtimes, and for low caps.