how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ralliarv

join:2012-11-27
Winnipeg, MB

[MB] Shaw slow speeds broadband 50

I live in Winnipeg in the Mission gardens area by Transcona. I've been experiencing very intermittent bandwidth connections since September. Originally I was on the 7.5mbps/0.5mbps High Speed plan which has been sufficient for most of my needs. I started noticing that streaming video would not buffer quick enough or stall for even SD video streaming yet alone 720p streaming. At times speeds would be great. I ran some speed tests (all direct to my SB5100 modem) and was averaging 1.8mbps down and 0.48mbps up. This was during non peak times and multiple tests. Downstream would fluctuate but upstream was always on what my plan was. Online gaming is also impossible and immediately lags.

After living with this for quite some time I thought it was time to just upgrade my plan. Changed to the BB50 plan and received the Cisco gateway. Immediately I tested the speed and saw a jump but only was hitting 18mbps max but was gettting the 3mbps up. So upload is clearly never affected as well as latency is never a problem.(All tests are done on the shaw suggestion of speedtest.shaw.ca site) Chatting with Shaw online they confirmed there is "congestion" in my area and needed to test the lines on my end. Had a tech booked last Saturday. A few hours before the scheduled time the tech called saying they cancelled the visit because they already have technicians working on the problem in the area and told me to call in for more info. I called in and they said they don't have any further information and I would be contacted. I haven't heard anything. This is upsetting and worse than my 7.5mbps connection and is almost unusable for most broadband activities. My speed has been dropping and getting worse ever since. I am paying for 50mbps and I am now currently getting less than 5mbps.

Does anyone know how long does it usually take to fix these "congestion" issues?. I've never even felt the full potential of my new plan since day 1... I understand the issue of congestion and cable internet service but losing 95% of your bandwidth is unacceptable. I am very upset with this service.

Here is a speedtest.net result. Just as a quick example

shaw speed test

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

join:2010-12-16
kudos:1

Hi Ralliarv,

Send me a private message with your account number and i'll run a test to see if it's something on our end.
-Shaw_Alex

n4tec

join:2003-03-27
reply to ralliarv

My sister who lives a few mins from your area also gets similar speeds to yours when i did a test on her bb50. Shes not too tech savvy so everything seems normal to her on the front end. I will probably go to her place and call support for her.

Shaw_MB

@shawcable.net
reply to ralliarv

That's normal for now. Shaw is doing a Massive upgrade for the entire city and hope to have it completed by March. The bandwidth is Maxed out right now.

The upgrade they are performing is the conversion to digital which will open up the flood gates. This is what I was told by a tech who came to the house and did not do a thing. We talked and he left. My node is at 86% capacity and speaks by the time it hits midnight. But since it doesn't peak all day they will not split the note.

So I say you will need to deal with it until the upgrade. And shaw won't compensate either. They say the speeds are UP To which I think is a bunch of BS because they have a tier'd system. IF you're getting a max speed in the tier lower than yours then you should be paying for that tier price. Just like when they bump you up with the BB50.

zulu53

join:2007-05-11
Calgary, AB
reply to ralliarv

Since day 1 (the old man and now Jim Shaw) have had a business model of doing the least to satisfy the customer, this is no where more evident in than in their treatment of the internet bandwidth. Because of the requirements of the cable network topology used by Shaw, local nodes must be expanded (actually means expanded not upgraded, contrary to what most of Shaws support talks about) as demand increases. This could either be done proactively (i.e. track the number of sales orders and per user traffic and plot the future trend and expand to meet it) OR retroactively (i.e. wait until the customers complain and once the complaints get to a defined level then expand. As stated - Shaw when they first entered the cable business (for TV) established the base philosophy - do the least, spend capital as slowly as possible, wait for the customers to come and complain.
Bottom line: keep complaining since its the only method that Shaw have defined as being relevant to the level of service they provide. My experience in my local area is that it will take between 2 and 4 weeks after the speeds are really bad (such as yours) before Shaw implements the expansions, but implement them they do. Also in my experience, in a reasonably fast growing area internet traffic wise, this slow down will occur 3-4 times per year. This has improved a little over the years but we had a really bad period in March where we were at 3 Mb/s up and down (and I wondered whether Shaw was testing symmetrical internet in my area! Fat chance! Symmetric internet would be PROACTIVE)

youngman60MB

@telus.net

I have a hard time believing that

weewilli

join:2011-12-10
Westbank, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to ralliarv

Ditto here in West Kelowna, BC....Tier 1 support blamed me, I made a lot of noise and got a floor super who checked admitted there is saturation on this node. Minimum 6 hours peak in the evening/night can go as low as 5 Mbs on a 50 Mbs plan. Lately it has been 24/7 like that. Now off peak is OK. A tech came out again yesterday as the HD is bad and he found a problem with the signal into the house.

Long story short he says it will be at least 2 months to fix saturation. I told him the service is very often literally un-usable as is. Everything buffers if it works at all. When everyone is at home over the holidays it will be a nightmare. He says he knows but can't do anything. I have historically gotten 45+ Mbs speeds consistently, use CAT 5e, Gb devices and the modem signals are great.

The Shaw family just doesn't care. Something drastic is going to have to happen. We are so on the verge of going to Telus even though we don't want to. They don't provide the service contracted for. Guess what would happen if we didn't provide the payment we agreed on???? Doh!...they have all the power, they know it, and JUST DON'T CARE!!

weewilli

join:2011-12-10
Westbank, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to ralliarv

I tried to edit my original post but the page kept going blank....

I get better service using my Telus LTE phone as a hotspot. This Xmas we might as well go camp out in front of the shaw's home(s) cause we sure won't be watching netflix, youtube or using xbox or the other gaming choices or anything beyond some low bandwidth/text services or products online.

I hate calling support and complaining but what else can I do? I have resorted to constant and regular speed tests and recording the results with screen shots to be able to back this up, more so I know myself that I am right. Think I am frustrated??

getsatellite

@telus.net
reply to weewilli

Depends on the area.

a 100 or 50 mb line could make heaps of difference to a area or cripple it if the consumer base is infentessible. If I were you guys I think I would try and fix the problems to keep your only one stable customer. But then again it seems both telus and shaw keep rolling out " Promotional Pricing " and bad service in competition for the worst customer service to ensure a almost unethical continuance of customer installs.

I think in the long run it would be cheaper to fix the problems rather than try and make it someone elses problem. But it seems its all both companies do.

harrasment10

join:2012-11-28

weewilli See Profile

quote:
a 100 or 50 mb line could make heaps of difference to a area or cripple it if the consumer base is infentessible.
I have a name you know, your one stable customer sounds like me. Inventessible yup sounds like the town. unethical coutinuance of promotional plans that find magical reason's not to exist and kick the user off within 6 months. Im seeing a theme... Bad service ,, worst customer service competition to chase that user off yup this is me me me me.... But it seems the strategies of both companies to harras until the customer just " goes away " yup seems like boths business model.

Lefty182

join:2012-09-29
Westbank, BC
reply to weewilli

I've been having the exact same thing weewilli. It's getting ridiculous. Alex from shaw got me in contact with a Westbank tech like 2 months ago and he said that there was a node problem and that they would fix it as soon as possible. Yet here I am, and there is no fix in sight, even with the endless amount of calling and bugging Shaw that I've done. Telus is looking like a good option.

dwonda

join:2013-02-04
Stonewall, MB
reply to ralliarv

Atleast you can go to that shaw speedtest and actually show slow speeds. I'll tell you whats worse, when your speed test on Shaw is just as it should be, but the rest of internet in the world is giving you like 3Mbps, nobody wants to help you at that point, they will all just tell you the same BS that they can only guarantee speeds on their network and nothing else, even though they are supposed to be an INTERNET PROVIDER, and you would think when they advertise speeds they would be talking about INTERNET speeds.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

Dwonda: a someone with 10 years of professional experience in WANs, I'm going to have to break you a harsh truth. That isn't how it works. The Internet is a large interconnection of autonomous systems. Autonomous meaning the networks are run by independent organizations. An "AS" as we call them in the trade, can only manage and support the traffic on their own networks. Much like the postal system, once you hand a packet of data off to another carrier you cannot guarantee delivery or speed of delivery.

It would be unreasonable to ask an ISP to guarantee speed on someone else's network. They have no rights or responsibilities on that network. Usually ISPs do a process called "peering". Peering means that two peer AS's exchange data, usually without billing each other. There are no guarantees this network will deliver the data, or that it will be delivered in a fast or timely manner.

Keep in mind that the Internet protocols were designed to be self-healing in the case of nuclear attack. The Internet was designed for slow links, and to frequently drop packets. TCP actually causes a lot of packets to drop by its very design.

So: the Internet was not designed to be fast, or reliable. It was just designed to get data to the end point the best it can. No guarantees. If you don't like that, then you won't like a lot of decisions made by a lot of very smart engineers decades ago.

P.S. I don't personally believe it is any form of BS to tell someone you can't guarantee service off your network. No ISP will offer that.

If you want guaranteed on-network speed, even that is insanely expensive. 1.5 Mbps can often cost hundreds a month guaranteed.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

That was well worded ravenchilde, thank you.

Once CanadaPost hands a letter to be delievered to Australia Post to be delivered in Australia, CanadaPost can't any make guarentees for how it gets handled or if it gets lost.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca

»www.telus.com/content/great-deals/

here you can switch from Shaw to get these great deal, free TV. WOW. you can;'t get that from Shaw. cheap bast---s.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

Thats absolutely right, I can't get a 3 year contract from Shaw.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to bucko2012

Believe me, that TV isn't free. You are paying for it over your contract. It's probably also the cheapest Samsung model they can get.

I'm personally very desensitized to contracts. People seem to really like them.